Cinderella Transformation Hoop

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
Sumaphelia
Window Shopper

Cinderella Transformation Hoop

Postby Sumaphelia » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Hello all,

This past year, I've had the very awesome opportunity to make two different Cinderella transformation dresses for two different high schools performing the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. If you'd like to see a video of my latest version, along with the story of how I got to this point, here is the link: http://www.honestmillennial.com/new-cin ... ess-video/

I researched for a loooooong time, and of course, became obsessed with this costume. My humble version is based on the "truncated transformation" William Ivey Long designed for the Tony's and CBS Thanksgiving special (video linked below), which is very different from the transformation in the actual show. Though I think I've done a pretty good job at reverse engineering the design (with some tweaks based on the particular needs of each production), there is still one thing that has me completely stumped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-lEAHwCaS4

How do y'all think this hoop works?

I know you all have experience working with spring steel, as well as creating hoops similar to this one, but this one confuses me. I mean, where does it go? How is it folded/concealed? How is it rigged and released?

I experimented a lot with my first version of the dress, and ended up using the very thin spring steel from a laundry hamper. Even then, I could never find a foolproof way to conceal the hoop and release it on cue. You can very clearly see that there are two versions of the costume: a slim, danceable ensemble, and the rigged dress, which she switches to right before the magic starts (the video was filmed in advance of the televised event). You can tell there's some sort very delicate rigged situation with the trick version of the dress, but damned if I know what it is. No matter what I tried, I could never figure out a way to fold/loop the hoop that was stable enough to be used on stage and that could release on demand.

Anyway, what are you thoughts on how this could be achieved? I'm hoping to incorporate a hoop into version 3.0, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Laura
Costume Afflicted

Re: Cinderella Transformation Hoop

Postby Laura » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:23 am

You have done a wonderful job with the Transformation dress. That is far more complex than I could attempt my self. Well Done. The hidden hoop would add to the beauty of your dress if you can figure it out. Are there no stage production hints that come with the manuscripts of this play?

From watching the video of the TV special, the hoop is under the peasant underskirt. hoops can be folded in a figure eight. Have you tried one part of the figure eight held at the lower hip with a release type ribbon and the other half of the hoop-figure-eight held down the back side. I think you could do two rows of hoops this way, but I would not try more rows than that. The hoop wire would need to be small and flexible yet hold it's shape.

I have no I idea if this would work but I wish you luck on your project.
Laura
Truly Victorian Honorary Team Member
Sumaphelia
Window Shopper

Re: Cinderella Transformation Hoop

Postby Sumaphelia » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response, Laura :)

In terms of sourcing information about this dress, the thing is that this version of the transformation is not used in the context of the full production, and it was only created for the TV appearances, when the scene must be truncated for time. Therefore, in the book, it describes Ella being "whirled around the stage" by magic, and the rolls herself against a tree, which is when the magnetic wrap skirt gets attached to the bodice. It's honestly kind of a let down compared to the version I'm going for.

I think I understand the figure 8 hoop configuration you're describing, but where exactly would Ella's body be in relation to the hoop?

Return to “What do y'all think?”