Boning for Edwardian corset

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
DuchessArgylle
Costume Afflicted

Boning for Edwardian corset

Postby DuchessArgylle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm currently making the Edwardian corset (which is going together beautifully!), and I have a question about bone lengths. I've had to add 1 1/2" to the length as I'm tall, so to figure out the bone lengths, would I measure on the pattern piece(s) wherever I'm planning on putting boning (or the actual corset itself), subtract 1" or so and call it good? How much too short could the bones be and still have this work? I tore apart my old Past Patterns one and took all the bones out, but they are all going to be a couple inches shorter than the measurement (I made it many years ago from a kit and while it worked tolerably well, I see now where this one is going to be much, much better).

I look forward to hearing any advice or tips! Thank you in advance. :-)
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Boning for Edwardian corset

Postby Heather » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:01 pm

When I make a corset, I put in the boning channels/casings and then measure each channel. Subtract 1" from the total length, to leave 1/2" at the top and bottom for the binding.

Because the bone casings do not follow the seams in an Edwardian corset, I don't think it is possible to measure the pattern and get a good length. At least for the front casings. The sides and back you can measure the pattern, though.
DuchessArgylle
Costume Afflicted

Postby DuchessArgylle » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Thanks Heather! That worked very well.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:37 am

I hope you don't mind my jumping in on this thread, but I have a question about boning for the Edwardian corset, too.
In comparison to the boning of TV110, are they roughly the same length? Or do the Edwardian bones tend to run a little longer? Trying to work on costs for making the Edwardian corset. Thank you!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:43 am

I think yes, they are a bit longer. The sides especially, and maybe the back. The front would be about the same though, or even shorter.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:23 am

Thank you! You really are a blessing, Heather!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b

Return to “Corsets”