Mad About Plaid!

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

Mad About Plaid!

Postby DarthCynthia » Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 pm

Or at least plaid bustle skirts!

I just thought I'd share my recent bustle gown that I wore to an event. I used Truly Victorian patterns, and did some custom piecing on the front of the bodice to create a layered look. I had a little bit of trouble, mainly due to illness and stress... and I was in a slight panic I wouldn't finish in time. Overall, I'm pleased for my first attempt to try something like this! I used TV460 for the bodice, and TV261-R for the skirt.

Forgive me for not going into detail about the sewing here -- I've been typing blog posts for too long, and already have the information online...

Here's a link to the costume page http://www.cfgriffith.com/costumes/plaid-travel-gown/.
Here's a link to a blog entry about the event: http://dfwcg.blogspot.com/2012/05/2012-frontier-forts-days-and-train-ride.html
And here's my photos of the event: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfgriffith/sets/72157629701086898/

Thanks so much for checking it out! I have to say, at first I was a little "yikes!" about the colors, but once I put it on and started walking around with friends and getting the reactions we did, I really ended up enjoying the outfit. The skirt is especially fun!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: Mad About Plaid!

Postby MaryGode » Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 pm

What a fun event!! You all look great, and like you're having a blast.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Very nice dress! I don't think I own a shred of plaid, but I really like the look of it! I wanted to try a bodice design very similar to what you did for a future project. Was the white section of it a seperate garment or sewn on to the rest of the bodice? I still haven't worked out the logistics without adding too much bulk.
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

Postby DarthCynthia » Mon May 14, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I usually use a pretty sturdy interlining that I flat line my fashion fabric to. This is the true base of the bodice itself.

The front sections are pieced together -- the white part is shaped only a little larger than the visible part and tacked down (it is gathered, and I made sure the center front edge had plenty of overlap to hide any gapping, even after finishing the edges). Then the black "vest" is pieced and tacked down over that white fabric's edge, and then I trimmed the original front edge's (gray fabric) excess and tacked it down over the white and black pieced sections.

I hope that helps explain it a little!

Return to “Show and Tell”