1904 evening gown project

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Madamekat
Information Junkie

1904 evening gown project

Postby Madamekat » Sun May 13, 2012 12:48 pm

You may have read my post over in the "How do I...?" section. I'm starting my first ever early Edwardian ensemble! I'm so excited! I lost my mind with joy when I saw the new patterns and scooped them up immediately.

I'm still working on the corset, which I'm making out of black coutil. I've sewn the pieces together and made the hip pad and bust pads (opps, I made two "right" bust pads, but no one will see my mistake!). I am waiting for funds to order boning, which I should have tomorrow once I get to the bank. Silly life is getting in the way of my sewing! :roll:

So here's the gown inspiration. Mine won't be just like this, but take elements from it that I can successfully reproduce with my skill set/supplies.

These gowns are inspiration, too

So I decided to start with the skirt so that I felt like I was making some progress. I'm making it out of a foundation of black taffeta and an over layer of black spangled net using the 1905 circular skirt pattern. Here it is so far!

Such an elegant skirt! I'm really happy with it! More soon!
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Re: 1904 evening gown project

Postby Dede » Mon May 14, 2012 3:48 am

Looks great so far! Waiting patiently for updates... :mrgreen:
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Mon May 14, 2012 4:53 am

Thanks, Dede! We had to run a bunch of errands and cook dinner, etc. I did get the bodice parts cut out, and I made the "eye" part of the hook and eye skirt placket while watching a movie after dinner. Nothing else concrete to show yet, but I'll have photos of something in a day or so.
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon May 14, 2012 8:00 am

Beautiful skirt!
Your shoes in the background are delicious!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Mon May 14, 2012 9:01 am

Sparkly skirt (lovely!), wicked shoes (do want!) and that antique stitchin-machine...sup wit dat?
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Mon May 14, 2012 9:20 am

Thank you!! LOL!! And thanks for liking the objects strewn around the room. :oops: I should clean up a bit before I take photos!

I made the hook and eye placket, got that attached, then put on the waistband. I'll worry about the hem when I decide what shoes I'll wear with this gown. I don't think I have the right shoes at the moment. I'd love black satin evening pumps with a louis heel!

Hrm...these might work if I dye them black http://dyeables.com/?pg=bridal&sub=pump&id=40721&sstr=&nr=0&nom=&width=
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Have you looked at the shoes on American Duchess? Spectacular shoe with new ones coming. http://Www.American-Duchess.com
Lioness

Return to “Show and Tell”