TV401 Fit

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
AnotherBlackSheep
Window Shopper

TV401 Fit

Postby AnotherBlackSheep » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Ok, I'm done with TV401. And I'm reasonably pleased even though it is obviously too large. Pleased mostly because this was my first project on my new treadle machine (all but the armholes and buttonholes because why would I want to do that to myself already?). I had planned to use this piece for folk to borrow who feel like dressing up on a whim who normally don't. I figured that if I made it a bit larger in the waist the general easy fit would accommodate other people beside myself. That being said I should have made the waist that was not fitted and used the belt instead if I wanted it to fit others beside myself. Oh well.

I have a question about the sleeves. Easing shoulder seams has never been my strong point. I really had many more inches of fabric on the sleeve then could reasonable fit into the arm opening. Should I scale the sleeve opening down a bit to better fit the bodice arm opening? This shouldn't be a puffy gathered sleeve so did I screw up somewhere? It may have been the cheap loosely woven cotton fabric I used. Maybe I should sew along the edge after I cut to keep everything where it belongs? Are they too baggy? too long?

Here is the link because I'm having trouble posting it today.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26583020@N05/6878091543/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used the same sizing as some other patterns I'd done previously but this one came out pretty large for me. Really I think it's mostly the waist measurement. I should shorten the waist length and tighten the band a bit next time. If this fit correctly it wouldn't bag at the waist, would it? What about gap between the waist band of the skirt/shirt? Should I put in some hooks and bars?

Also, I should know to stay away from plaids. I took lots of time to match up the shoulder seams with the vertical lines of the plaid pattern and forgot about the horizontal ones. Should I stick with light colors for summer garments?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR OPINIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS!
Heather
Site Admin

Re: TV401 Fit

Postby Heather » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I am so glad you posted this again. I was going to answer you the other day, and I couldn't find the post!!

This blouse will fit a little bit looser than a bodice. It was intended to be made of light or sheer fabric, without lining, and the extra ease is need to keep the seams from pulling. When you have a loose fit like this, it is very important that you make the waistband as tight as possible. Otherwise, the whole thing will want to ride upwards as you move. And this riding up is part of what is making the whole thing seen long. You do want a little extra length to help keep it from riding up, but you don't want too much. I think about what you have is fine, once the belt stays where it should.

Easing sleeves is always a bit tricky. The main idea is that the more space to try to ease, the less it will look like gathers. So ease the entire sleeve that is not under the armhole. Especially the bias angles, as the bias will shrink a lot before it begins to look gathered. On the whole, I think it looks very nice. I love the bias facings!!
AnotherBlackSheep
Window Shopper

Postby AnotherBlackSheep » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Heather wrote: On the whole, I think it looks very nice. I love the bias facings!!

Thank you! :) I am going to try it again and am on the lookout for some sheer polka dot fabric.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Your blouse looks really nice! I'm using this blouse to finish something I've already started although I wonder if the quilting cotton I was going to use will be too heavy.
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com

Return to “Does this fit right?”