My new TV460 evening bodice

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

My new TV460 evening bodice

Postby DarthCynthia » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 am

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I posted anything new here. I'm not sure if any of you remember my old ballgown, but I just finished an evening bodice to go with the old skirts. Here are links to the information pages from my website about the patterns and materials used:

The old ballgown outfit
http://www.cfgriffith.com/costumes/my-f ... -ballgown/

and the new evening bodice
http://www.cfgriffith.com/costumes/burg ... le-skirts/

Here are photos from my TV photo album:

It was fun to finally finish a project that's been sitting around covered in dust for a few years. TV patterns truly have me spoiled... I hate tissue paper patterns, so I prefer using patterns like TV's or just making my own lately! Thanks so much for such great patterns to work from! I had SO many compliments about my outfit when I wore it recently -- one woman seemed so excited to hear that I'm still somewhat new to sewing and still learning. I told her to check out Truly Victorian and she wrote it down. I really hope she gives it a try and has a blast!
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Re: My new TV460 evening bodice

Postby Miss Cindy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 am

Beautiful!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 am

Another red gown, I'm dying of envy here! I just love the neckline treatment. 8)
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Pamlin
Costume Afflicted

Postby Pamlin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:00 am

How incredibly Manet! LOVELY!
Pamlin
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

Postby DarthCynthia » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks everyone! :D
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Beautiful! I love the ruching!

MaryGode wrote:Another red gown, I'm dying of envy here! I just love the neckline treatment. 8)

We need to get our butts moving for our red dresses, huh? :lol:
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 pm

Oh my gosh, that's just luscious! You look fabulous in it!

ISN'T RED JUST THE BEST COLOR???? (It's my favorite!)
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Andrea L wrote:We need to get our butts moving for our red dresses, huh?

I know!! I have the stuff even! I just need a rupture in time-space to hide in and sew. :lol:

Edit to add: I keep looking at your lovely new bodice. It's a well-known bug in the use of satin that it shows stress wrinkles all to heck, but I love how the area between the darts looks like a ruched panel you designed into the front. A bug turned into a feature!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 pm

MaryGode wrote:
Andrea L wrote:We need to get our butts moving for our red dresses, huh?

I know!! I have the stuff even! I just need a rupture in time-space to hide in and sew. :lol:

Edit to add: I keep looking at your lovely new bodice. It's a well-known bug in the use of satin that it shows stress wrinkles all to heck, but I love how the area between the darts looks like a ruched panel you designed into the front. A bug turned into a feature!

I'm a bit burnt out from my current project (I'm currently in the final stages of sewing in which you do all the tedious crap that you've been putting off, like hand sewing and sewing on closures. Ugh.) so after making my talma for this winter, I may back off of sewing for a bit, at least until I start my Renaissance project for next May. Then...I shall conquer my red dress! Or at least start it. ^_^

Oh, and DarthCynthia, how did you make your reticule? I wanted to throw one together really quick next week.
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

Postby DarthCynthia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I was very nervous about the satin wrinkling showing too much, but I flatlined it to a sturdier fabric (and serged the edges) as well as used an interior waistbelt to help keep the buttons from taking too much strain. I think that's also the thing I love the most about clothing you can add tons of trim to -- it helps hide mistakes or at least detracts from them a little :D Whew!

As far as the reticule (it's been a few years... so I'm having to think back to how I did it): I used a sturdy fabric for the base interior (it's the same fabric I've had for the old corset and bodices... some sort of denim). I flatlined the outer fashion fabric to it most likely to treat it as one piece. I used a rectangular piece for the side of the reticule, and stitched it to the base. I did the same for the lining, and sewed them like a bag lining, leaving a little gap to turn through, and hand stitched that closed once I'd pulled it through with the proper sides where they belonged.

I then sewed the channel for the drawstring ribbon , and added the gathered trim. I hope that helps... it was thrown together, and I can't remember how I decided on the size.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks! It sounds simple enough to throw together really quick. I just didn't know how people went about doing a drawstring reticule since I see a lot of them with purse frames.
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

Postby DarthCynthia » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Yes, mine is very simple even with the extra steps to keep the bottom from being too saggy. One thing I would do differently... I would make it so I could add an extra ribbon drawstring. I don't overpack my purses if I can help it, but it's inevitable I'll end up with extra stuff *laughs* The single ribbon really drove me nuts, and I will be replacing it down the line with a thicker ribbon I think. The thin one dug into my wrist the whole time, and hung at an odd angle. I much prefer my newer yellow and embroidered knotting bag (I have a page for it on my website), and it uses two ribbons. It's more comfortable, I think! Just something to think about if you have certain items you simply must have with you. :)

Return to “Show and Tell”