is my butt too big for this?

Find out how to get that dang thing to fit.
marylou426

is my butt too big for this?

Postby marylou426 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Sorry the subject line seemed to fit. ANywho, I just finished my elliptical hoops and I have 2 questions. First, since this is my first hoop, is it supposed to be woren at the natural waist, or can it be woren lower but over the hips? Second, I haven't made my petti yet, however my hips stick out past the hoop lines. I tried losing the ties but that made it dip, when i tightened them and the back stayed out like it was supposed to my hips looked that much bigger. Should I make my petti and then see?

Thank you

MArion :bang:
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Re: is my butt too big for this?

Postby Bookwyrm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Stop worrying about how your hips look in a hoop - the whole point is that you can't see them because the skirt (over the hoop) is so big. Slim is not in this fashion's vocabulary.

Basically, the effect you're going for is a trim waist, heavily emphasized by the width of the skirt. There's no emphasis on the hips at all because they're not part of the look. You'll also notice that there really is very little emphasis near the top of the skirt at all - most of it is flounces or overskirts which show off the hem area, not the hips.

You do want to wear your hoops at the natural waist, not hanging off your hips. If they're at the waist, your corset will provide a great deal of support for the weight of the skirt and there will be a smooth line from the skirt outwards. If you tried to wear your hoops down on your hips, it would not be very comfortable or attractive.
marylou426

Postby marylou426 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:50 am

Thank you so much for resting my fears. This is my first experience making hoops and I'm making my wedding dress I'm just nervious about it. :eep:
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:30 pm

No worries! It is a big shift from modern fashion to the 1800s. Their focus was on completely different parts of the body than ours is, and it takes a major adjustment to not see it as very weird.

If you want some more reassurance, go look at the photo galleries - both the one linked at the top of this page, which are the members' personal galleries, and the one linked on the main TV store, which are photos folks have sent in over the years. You'll get a good idea what these fashions look like on modern people - unusual, but not bad.
candace
Window Shopper

Postby candace » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:26 pm

I completely understand. I had a hard time adjusting to the styles, too. I loved the way it looked on other people, but when I tried it on, I thought my butt and hips looked huge! I had to force myself to keep staring in the mirror and accept that it's simply a different look, and that's not a bad thing.
I'm sticking faithfully to my health plan so that I can fit into my smaller corset.
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm completely hooked on giant bustles now. I keep wanting a bigger one. It may be because the steel ones hide my own giant "bustle", but I also own several books of fashion plates, including two copies of the Harper's Bazaar book commonly referred to as "the bible." Leisurely flipping through such books, imagining the rich fabrics and trims, admiring the sometimes graceful, sometimes drastic forms has probably helped me wrap my head around the different-ness of it. Maybe borrowing a few such books from your local library would help if you're having difficulty adjusting?
:fence:

Return to “Does this fit right?”