Designing patterns on a dressform(?)

everything you ever wanted to know about corsets can hopefully be answered here
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Designing patterns on a dressform(?)

Postby Soundbrigade » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:42 am

I got (bought) a dressform for Christmas, as I had gotten some spare money. The idea was/is to design some simple stuff using the dressform and also to have a check on corsets and dresses I (hopefully) will sew.

What intrigues me most is the idea of designing corset patterns, or at least find out how to make the pieces in new un-orthodox ways. Also I simply have to find out how to make a (modern) corset with bust cups.

Has anyone else tried making patterns using a dressform AND has anyone made experiments designing corsets this way?

(Has anyone an idea how to make a corset with bust cups?? :roll: )
Magnus

When in trouble, when in doubt
Run in circles, scream and shout.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Designing patterns on a dressform(?)

Postby Heather » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 am

Actually, someone wrote a book on designing corsets on dress forms. "Waisted Efforts" by Robert Doyle. I have it listed on the TV recommended reading list http://astore.amazon.com/trulyvictorian/detail/0968303900

I just pulled out my copy of Waisted Efforts, and there is even a section on 1950's bras and bustiers towards the back. You could combine that with the corset models to get where you want to go I think.
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:59 am

I got a second hand copy of Dawn Cloake's Fashion Design on the Stand a few years ago. It describes very good the progress of designing new models on a dress form, not particular for corsets but there's a chapter "Boned foundation bodice block".
I will try to add Waisted Efforts to my library, whenever some "corsetted money" trickles in.
Magnus

Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:47 pm

The Corsetmakers LJ community has had several posts about designing corsets with separate bra cups. Here's a link for the appropriate tag: http://community.livejournal.com/corset ... %20corsets

You'll have to dig a little, but I'm quite sure that at some point there were some tutorials about creating a pattern for such a garment.
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:53 am

That will keep me busy this weekend ... 8)

Thanks a lot.
Magnus

auroradreams
Costume Afflicted

Postby auroradreams » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:49 am

auroradreams
Costume Afflicted

Postby auroradreams » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:53 am

here`s a better link to all the corset videos http://www.ralphpink.com/tutorials/cors ... nstruction
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:46 am

I managed to lay my hands on a book called Fashion Design on the Stand by Dawn Cloake a few years ago. That book describes how to design clothes on a dress stand. It is, I guess rather hard to find these days though.
Magnus

Gemma
Costume Afflicted

Postby Gemma » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:51 am

I did a 5 day course on 'modelling and draping on the stand', and still use the techniques I learnt when I need to design something, in combination with commercial patterns and more mathematical pattern drafting. The problem I have with it is that my dummy just isn't the right shape - the length from the shoulder to the bust line is too short, so I can never rely solely on using the dressform. I'd love to have a proper designers dressform one day :)

However, if you were starting with a basic pattern that fit, and drawing new seamlines to change the shape of the pieces to make a more interesting design, that sounds like it would work!
Soundbrigade
Costume Afflicted

Postby Soundbrigade » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:55 am

There are methods to make a personal dressform. I tried once to make one for for my wife, but it collapsed into a soggy goo when I was lining the mould with papier maché. :x
Magnus

Return to “Corsets”