About the Ripple skirt and jacket

Have an idea but you just need someone else to agree (or disagree) be fore you go ahead as planned? Here is the place for feedback.
ginnymorgan
Information Junkie

About the Ripple skirt and jacket

Postby ginnymorgan » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:25 am

I so love this pattern...but have a few questions...

Heather, you say wear several petticoats...how many would you suggest and I assume the 1890-s pettis you have would work?

What do you use to stiffen the hem?

Would this skirt be as cumbersome as a Civil war day skirt as far as moving around in tents etc?
I would also be wearing it at a museum...don't want to knock over anything!

I am going to make it anyway because it is sooooo gorgeous and I am in love with the 1890s now...any advice from anyone?

Thanks!!
Heather
Site Admin

Re: About the Ripple skirt and jacket

Postby Heather » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Well, I haven't worn my version of this skirt in a long time, it having shrunk while in the closet many years ago. Back then, I wore it over a small net crinoline and a cambric TV170 petti. I never got the chance to try various other pettis to see what would work best. I would say at least 2 of the 170 pettis should be good.

This skirt will be narrower around that your hoops, but it will most likely be heavier. So you knock things over if you are not careful. But the skirt will collapse and move around you, not stay in a big circle like a hoop. So it is easier to manage I think.

I usually have a lot of twill on hand for corsets, so I tend to use it as the stiffener in the hems for the 1890's skirts. But I have also used canvas once or twice. You don't want it too stiff, but you do want something that will make the skirt fall in large folds and not just crumple up on you.
ginnymorgan
Information Junkie

Postby ginnymorgan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks Heather...As much as I love that skirt...it may not be practical for that particular event...I still want to make it..just not for that.

Thinking a smaller skirt would work better..
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, and while we're on the topic, what do you think of the plastic horsehair braid for stiffening hems? I haven't tried it, but I've thought that it might work in some cases. Would it be too stiff, though? Thanks!
:fence:
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:20 pm

I bought a bunch of the 6" wide horsehair. I think it is really great stuff. The only issue is that it is very expensive. I haven't used it in anything yet, cause I keep wanting to "save" it for something really special. I imagine it would work great for skirt hems.
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:33 am

I've used horsehair braid in the theatre. It's wonderful stuff - even the narrow (1 or 2") braids do a terrific job holding out your hem and it goes around curves so well. If it's attached to a very light fabric the braid can be so springy that the skirt caves in just a little right above the hem, but it's not a huge deal and you could avoid it by putting it on a heavier lining or interlining, rather than on the fashion fabric itself.

The 6" wide horsehair is a bit spendy, but I bet you could get a good effect for a little less by using two or three rows of 1", spaced a little apart up the hem.
Bobbpe
Window Shopper

Postby Bobbpe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:03 pm

I use 3" wide polyester horsehair braid in the hems of skirts and I like it a lot. Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide has a great method for how to insert it into hems. I bought it at Sew True Supply, but I needed to buy 36 yards. I have a lifetime supply, but I sell some to my friends, because they like how my hems look!
Bobbie

Return to “What do y'all think?”