My Wishing dress, new photos

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
m d b
Inquiring Mind

My Wishing dress, new photos

Postby m d b » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:57 am

Sorry these are blurry, I was nervous and was shakey;)
Image Image Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qq2i9B2F_s
To see the video.

http://costumes.glittersweet.com/phantom/wishing.htm for making of until a few days ago;)

Yep a bit of bulging at the waist as I was not able to sing and wear my corset at the same time;) (I have the draperies at different levels of the waist-upper hip level to prevent conjestion at the waist;) ) The acoustics were really odd in the building and I wasn't sure how I would be able to sing there let alone try and work around a corset, having not had a chance ot practice in the space.

So, this is based on Marina Prior's and Maree Johnson's the most, which a touch of Danielle Everette's gown thrown in.

The skirt is fully pleated, and carefully matched so only the dark blue and some gold is seen until I walk and the pleats open.

There is 13m of pleating on the draperies and sleeves. These too were matched and folded so only the dark blue was seen on the face of the pleats.
So there is 26m of ribbon on the pleatings as well!

Then there is a further few on the bow at the back with is longer than in most productions.

I put the same fringing on the waterfall drapery as I have on the others as I needed to make the skirt a little more textured.

Aside from making the pale stripes darker and brighter I dyed the velveteen for the faux vest and cuffs as well as the fine pilewale cord for the waterfall drapery. I couldn't afford to buy velveteen to match, but I will eventually swap it out. The texture is fine enough to not be noticeable at a distance but be unobtrusive and pleasant close up.

To do:
Buttons. I couldn't find any self cover button blanks with a gold edge.
Shift and add to the embroidery's on the faux vest (I lost one rose cluster somewhere for one...)
Swap out the velveteen at some stage.
Angle the pannier draperies a little more. Maybe tack them to the akist and stabilise the skirt yoke a little more to help.

And this is what I wore after the Wishing gown for another song:

Yes I have a thing for fully pleated skirts;)

From Sunday 19thV November, more pictures. Actually lots and lots of really lovely ones!
Last edited by m d b on Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]
drusillamonte
Information Junkie

My wishing dress as worn tonight

Postby drusillamonte » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:39 am

Aweeesommeee! Love the dye job and the colors! I want to see closeups of the top!!!!! Looks gorgeous! The pleated skirt looks really neat too! :D

Dru
" Myths debunked, dragons slain, bad guys shot and hanged, light brought into darkness." "Of all the things you wear, expression is the most important." So SMILE! :-)
LiLadyLuthien
Information Junkie

Postby LiLadyLuthien » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:02 am

so beautiful!!!!
Sumalee
Inquiring Mind

Postby Sumalee » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:15 pm

I love the pleated skirt :D This makes me so happy and sad at the same time. My dress is on hiatus, because I am feeling very dpressed about it at the moment. I need to get a new lining for the drapery and I need to find some nice, cheap velvet int he right color. But thanks for putting up some pretty and inspirational pics, mdb :D
What? Did I just say something strange(or costuming/fabric/historical accuracy/Phantom/Ballet/Moulin Rouge related)? No, of course not......
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:50 pm

Oooooh! The fabric is so pretty! Such a lovely shade of blue. I love the velvet at the sleeves, too. Is it dark blue or black? Can we get pics of the back, too? I'd love to see the waterfall train.
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Thank you everyone:)

Drusilla: I still have blue under my fingernails and around my cuticles;)

Sumalee: I understand, I had a two week break because I overdid it with sewing all the pleatings in two days. I wrecked my wrist (again) and it made me very depressed to even think about it;)

Orianna: That shade of blue was nearly impossible to match! So I decided on using a variety of blue shades that would hopefully all blend together.

The velveteen is a very dark blue. It started off "navy", and was a fairly dusty purply tone. I used Dylon permanent machine dye (it comes in very large packages as opposed to the small boxes or pottles most of their dyes come in) in mid-blue to tone it to a more neautral blue.

I have some photos of the various layers and in progress of the waterfall drapery as well. Trying to match those narrowish stripes was just a *tad* difficult and frustrating;)

I'll get some more photos taken this week. I may even pull some images from the video my mother took of my performance (she brought along her new boyfriend and I made him cry with the song;) He's not a person who goes to the theatre either:) ) I don't know if I want to listen to it though. I hate watching my performances;)
LiLadyLuthien
Information Junkie

Postby LiLadyLuthien » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:19 am

your work never ceases to amazing me - lol it looks so much nicer than mine!

Pictures of the waterfall drapery! must see!
AspiringCostumer
Inquiring Mind

Postby AspiringCostumer » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:57 pm

Beautiful! The detail and work you put into this is amazing and it really shows. Great job.
AC
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:25 pm

*faint!*

Oh my goodness!! Such talent! Such eye for beauty! Such pleating!!

I wish I could have you over one day for a "pleating day" and then I wouldn't get discouraged or bored :)

*desiring the gorgeous pleats on the green dress*
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:29 pm

Thanks LiLadyLuthien:) I will have photos of the dress on the form in the next day I think. I'm just so tired, and yet had insomnia last night that I'm just not really able to do much in the way of lugging the thing around and taking photos;) I do have a photo of the drapery lying flat on my ironing table (computor desk with blanket and calico pinned over it) so I'll edit that and get it uploaded:)

Thanks AspiringCcostumer: I don't think many people at the comps appreciated just how much work went into it;)

Thanks Madamekat: I am going to put up my tutorial on how to work with pleats sometime soon. I have yet to pleat my Mina skirt, so I'll be able to get the in progress photos of that as I go:) I have forgotten to take photos of the others as I arranged the pleats (I have photos of the fabric pleated and ready to arrange, but none of the arranging.)
Striped fabric is so much nicer to pleat, that's all I'm saying;) Much less trying to measure and pin from both ends and the middle to make the pleats line up. You have handy-dandy lines to follow already! Magic.
operafantomet
Inquiring Mind

Postby operafantomet » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:06 pm

m d b wrote:Striped fabric is so much nicer to pleat, that's all I'm saying;) Much less trying to measure and pin from both ends and the middle to make the pleats line up. You have handy-dandy lines to follow already! Magic.

Oh yes, I pleated some solid metres for my Elissa skirt hem ( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/o ... carlot.jpg ), and it wasn't all that easy to get it straight and even. Luckilly I had horizontal stripes to help me out - they stopped me from getting totally offline. But vertical ones must be awesome to work with.

As I wrote in your Livejournal, I think your Aussie Wishing replica is just awesome!! Can't wait to see more pictures.
THE ANÉA COSTUMES: www.anea.no
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qq2i9B2F_s

It doesn't help too much, but you can sort of see the stripes and how the skirt moves.

I apologise, I hadn't sung solo in public and especially not that space for years. Not really since 1998 actually. Lots of little bits here and there, but not a singing competition;)
LiLadyLuthien
Information Junkie

Postby LiLadyLuthien » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 am

Very nicely done for not having sung in public for a long time.

the dress looks beautiful on stage!!!

If only I had half the skill, patient, and determination as you to do a fully pleated skirt!!!
Sumalee
Inquiring Mind

Postby Sumalee » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:24 am

Gorgeous! I really like the piano accompanying that song. The dress moves really beautifully! Can you post some pictures of the waterfall? It looked really nice from the small glimpse of it on the video, but it was too dark to really make anything out.
What? Did I just say something strange(or costuming/fabric/historical accuracy/Phantom/Ballet/Moulin Rouge related)? No, of course not......
LiLadyLuthien
Information Junkie

Postby LiLadyLuthien » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:49 am

yes the waterfall drapery!! must see!

*sumalee...we're taking over threads again...*
Sumalee
Inquiring Mind

Postby Sumalee » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Mmrrrhahahaha...Darn that habit.
Kelsey Rose
Inquiring Mind

Postby Kelsey Rose » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:42 pm

m d b,

You have a beautiful voice. I must admit it brought tears to my eyes as well. Your dress is lovely. I to would like to see more photos of the waterfall detail.
Kelsey Rose
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:19 pm

Thanks everyone :)

I'm in the throes of a really intensive SCA project, so I may have to get better photos after the event it's for.

I do though have a photo of the drapes as I was pinning them to shape, so that gives an idea at least of how they look. It was before I decided to sew the tufted braid to them thought.
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:57 pm

Will you be going to the war of the lilies? Still haven't decided if DH and I can go.... If so, I'll see ya in Smithville!
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:58 am

Unfortunately no;) I'm going to Midwinter Coronation here in Lochac (Australia and New Zealand) in about three or four weeks... I think three and a half;)

It's a big project... it's a dress Anne of Cleves would have worn if she had've stayed in Cleves until the later years of her life;)

http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/k/2cleves.htm

But I have some photos of the in progress of the dress in my costuming journal.

Oh and I forgot:
It'll take you to my page, which was updated with the performance photos. Nothing else really new, but that is my waterfall drapery being matched up.
I actually only partially tacked it as I found it looked better with more freedom from half way down or so.

Return to “Show and Tell”