Victorian/Historical fiction recommendations/reviews

List the local events in your area that you think others may enjoy, or list something you heard about that you want more info on.
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Victorian/Historical fiction recommendations/reviews

Postby Danibelle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Hey everyone-

I've been pretty scarce for a while (back in school FULLTIME) but the Victorian bug is always with me. One of the ways I try to keep things going for myself when I can't get to the sewing machine is reading...waiting on the bus, on lunch break, between classes...and I love reading historical fiction. Whether it's a "real" book or an e-book on my NOOK, I enjoy stories with a historical backdrop. Recently I finished "The Tea Rose" by Jennifer Donnelly, and while I didn't think it was the best thing ever, there was enough "Victoriana" in it to keep me happy. I don't know if I want to spend time/money on more of her books or not, though. One of my favorites is "Falling Angels" by Tracy Chevalier (actually, anything by her is an instant fave) but it's nice to be able to expand the library.

So I was wondering if there were any of you here that liked reading historical or Victorian fiction by contemporary authors? If so, do you have a favorite story or series? It doesn't have to be strictly Victorian....I have a few books by Lauren Willig who wrote the Pink Carnation series (technically that's historical romance with girl power and sexytimes) and thats set during the French Revolution, I think. I also tend to like historical fiction of other eras and character nationality....like "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" type stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there and see if anyone else was as particular as I am when it comes to reading. If any of you have suggestions for books you think I might like, please post!

Thanks!
-dani
“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Re: Victorian/Historical fiction recommendations/reviews

Postby Tiffers » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:30 pm

Are you into steampunk at all? Victorian with gadgets is the best description!

If not, then check out the "Parasol Protectorate" books by Gail Carriger if you dont mind the odd foppish vampire or an overdressed werewolf..... the whole series is vastly amusing!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... l+carriger

Also, there is the Lady Julia Grey series by Deanna Raybourn which might also amuse!

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Sanctuary- ... 161&sr=8-4

Tiffers
Jadeclover
Window Shopper

Postby Jadeclover » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Agreed with Tiffers. the Parasol Protectorate series are amazing books! vastly amusing in a very otherworldly steampunk way
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:33 pm

I might give the steampunk books a lookover. I'm not really into SP...and it's kind of childish to say, but it's because I feel the people who are all into SP now, weren't there for a comic book of the same name about 10 years back and it got cancelled! :cry: Oh, I'm so petty! Speaking of comics, there's one called "Ruse" that was amazingly fun, witty, romantic and Victorian I can't stop telling people about. The most recent release of only 4 issues doesn't do the series justice...but if anyone is interested, you should look up the "Enter the Detective" trade paperback. Emma Bishop and Simon Archard, two characters with the most palatable UST I've ever seen on a printed page!

Thanks for the ideas, ladies!
-dani

“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
SarahMiller42
Costume Afflicted

Postby SarahMiller42 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:56 pm

I'll third the Parasol Protectorate. It has a nice light tone and is exciting and fun. The heroine is a fashionable lady in a bustle and corset but doesn't let that stop her from her adventures.

I've been reading more SteamPunk than anything else so I have a list if you like after reading the Parasol Protectorate,
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:33 pm

The Calder series by Janet Daily are wonderful, traveling from 1860s to 1920 I believe, with stories about the children and grandchildren now grown. "This Calder Range" and "Stands a Calder Man" are 2 of them set in the old west.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:17 am

Danibelle wrote:... I feel the people who are all into SP now, weren't there for a comic book of the same name about 10 years back and it got cancelled! :cry: Oh, I'm so petty! Speaking of comics, there's one called "Ruse" that was amazingly fun, witty, romantic and Victorian I can't stop telling people about....

Ahhh, I'm a speed reader so I dont do comics! Not enough text for my eyes to eat up. I've been interested in SP styled things for much longer than 10 years though ;)

Tiffers
Rebecca
Inquiring Mind

Postby Rebecca » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:26 am

Have you evert tried Catherine Cookson or Victoria Holt? Neither are steam punk at all.
Both are fiction usually set in Victorian times though I've seen French Revolution to WWI. Holt is usually romance with a mystery, no bodice ripping stuff much more demure. Some are much better than others, usually a quick read. Cookson is great, really a lot of detail on the characters so you feel you know them. You really like the main character and the villians are wicked. Many of her stories have been made into Masterpiece Theater type TV programs.
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:09 pm

My mother got me started reading Victoria Holt when I was in my early teens and I still love the books. Catherine Cookson was another one of her favs and I enjoyed those books as well.

Victoria Holt was a pseudonym for Eleanor Hibbert. She also wrote books as Jean Plaidy, Phillipa Carr and several other names. I never read any I didn't like. For a quick overview, check out Wikipedia for Eleanor Hibbert http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_Hibbert

She has sold 100 million books before her death, not only a prolific writer but a very good one.
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:23 pm

I am a fan of Irving Stone's Love is Eternal about the Lincolns and The President's Lady about the Andrew and Rebecca Jackson.
I also like Marion Chesney, she wrote Regency Era romances that are well researched.
You might also want to take a look at this web site http://www.historicalnovels.info/

Return to “Places to go, things to do”