UK meet up?

List the local events in your area that you think others may enjoy, or list something you heard about that you want more info on.
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Re: UK meet up?

Postby Louisa C » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:45 am

I must start with an apology - I'm sorry i did not get to meet people in Rochester at Christmas, i was with another group of friends and was swept away with them after the parade and could not stay at the Castle Gardens to meet people.

There is a possible chance to meet up in London. It was suppose to be on Easter Weekend, they are trying to organsise a mass living history picnic in one of the main parks (either Hyde park, St James park or Green park). It will be quite an informal day, come if you want in costume - no specific period, bring your own food and drink. I think it is just a chance for people to meet. I am not sure about the date now as many people have said it clashes with other things. However it might be a good chance to meet up there.

What do people think?? I will try and get some more information about it if people are interested.

JP - I really wanted to go to Dickens World but lack of funds has dictated. I am sure there will be plenty of other Strollers there, i know Steve and family will be there.

Louisa
Gemma
Costume Afflicted

Postby Gemma » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:56 am

I alo failed to make the Rochester meetup - in my case due to a crazy Satnav which took me right through the centre of london (we saw all the sites ;)) instead of round the M25.

Wish I'd known about the Dickens thing sooner, its on my list of places to go but we're booked up for this weekend.

Picnic somewhere in London? That sounds like the coolest thing ever, I would love to know details and would come if I possibly could! :bounce:
Hmm, that means I need to make my sweetheart an outfit by then so we don't have to hire again!
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Postby Louisa C » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 am

My god where were you coming from? I hate driving in London, too many people trying to get places in a hurry and i like to take my time.

i will try and get some more details on the picnic. Even if it doesn't happen then, we could always do it our selves.
JP
Inquiring Mind

Postby JP » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:48 am

Hi Louisa,
Picnic sounds great. I know Steve mentioned it before but if it is during the Easter holiday, our family is usually away then (kids off school and all that). But if it were the weekend before or weekend after, I'd love to go! I keep dithering about Dicken's World, only because it's such a long drive! Will probably take us 3 hours from home.... I so wish I could find a few events a bit closer. Now, better go try on that dress!
Hope we can get together soon.
Joëlle
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 am

I was also sorry not to meet more of you in Rochester. However, if you heard any of the rumours that were flying around on the Sunday that someone had got engaged at the Hoi Polloi Ball...they were true. It was me :D
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
JP
Inquiring Mind

Postby JP » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:32 am

Congratulations Susan! When's the wedding? Will it be victorian themed?
Wholly jo
Window Shopper

Postby Wholly jo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:11 am

I hope Susan's wedding will be Victorian themed that would be so nice (no pressure Susan) BTW not being so cheeky , Susan got me into this)

Any way I was wondering if we could piece together a list of UK venues that you can go to and wear out lovely dresses. (Heather is there a place we can put them?) and people who have been can tell us more about them and then we stand more chance of meeting up.

Here are a few to get us going

lfracombe Victorian Week from 12th to 20th June 2010
Llandudno 1-3rd May 2010
Bluebell railway Friday 2nd and Sunday 4th July Sat 11 & Sun 12 September: Victorian Picnic Evening
Llandrindod Wells end aug
Rochester 4, 5 and 6 June 2010.
Broadstairs Dickens Festival June 20, 2010 - June 24, 2010
The Somerset Victorian County Show 1st & 2nd May 2010 Maunsel House, near Taunton
Joanne
JP
Inquiring Mind

Postby JP » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:04 am

Thank you Joanne for these dates, I will put them in my diary - there are a few events in there I didn't know about. Yes, it would be nice if we could find a place to post all UK events (though I realise this is an American website, hopefully Heather wouldn't mind?....) - we don't seem to have anything comparable in the UK. Maybe just start a thread headed: "UK Events" and anybody can list in there?
Where's the Bluebell Railway Joanne?
Joëlle
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Sorry things didnt happen with regards to Breamore House. I did try posting up the contact details I had here so someone else could take over the organising of the event however, my laptop didnt comply with my wishes!

I am sure the people at Breamore would be more than happy to welcome us there at some point this year. I'm happy to pass on the contact details and name I had to someone else if there is anyone who would like to organise this? I have quite a few gigs to attend this year so cant commit to organising anything at the moment!

I do know that I'm going to be at the last weekend of the Llandrindod festival :D

Tiffers
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Congrats on your engagement Susan! I saw it announced on FB :) Are you planning on being the Wedding Couple at Llandrindod this year perhaps? :D

Tiffers
Wholly jo
Window Shopper

Postby Wholly jo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:57 pm

JP wrote:Where's the Bluebell Railway Joanne?
Joëlle

The boarders of east and west sussex here is a link
http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/blueb ... ebell.html
Joanne
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:52 am

Last year a couple who regularly attend the Festival were married at the Guildhall in Bath on the first day of the Festival after the Promenade. Anyone who was in costume was invited to the ceremony. It was very simple and quite moving. It was more or less organised with the Festival. A very serendipitous idea.
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:15 am

I found a nice picture of the Rochester Dickensian Christmas December 2009 on this site : http://www.johnh.co.uk/rdf/RDF2009-12.htm
Have you seen it? :wink:
Wholly jo
Window Shopper

Postby Wholly jo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:59 am

Did you spot Susan? bottom row with the lanterns
Joanne
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:24 am

Yes!
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:51 am

Tiffers wrote:Congrats on your engagement Susan! I saw it announced on FB :) Are you planning on being the Wedding Couple at Llandrindod this year perhaps? :D

Tiffers

Here some videos of the 2009 Bath festival with a very happy couple!
http://www.janeausten.co.uk/videos.ihtml?step=2&id=10
Wholly jo
Window Shopper

Postby Wholly jo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:56 pm

Susan got married last week and here is a link to the photos on facebook http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 203e8d8748
Joanne

Return to “Places to go, things to do”