Who would be up for it?

List the local events in your area that you think others may enjoy, or list something you heard about that you want more info on.
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Who would be up for it?

Postby Tiffers » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Are there many people who are here in the UK who would be up for a visit to somewhere in our victorian outfits?

Just thinking off the top of my head but something like a trip to Bath. Maybe a visit to the Pump rooms for afternoon tea, a horsedrawn carriage ride around the town, a visit to the fashion museum?

Who would be interested?

Other locations or suggestions considered! Just trying to keep this outside of London!

Tiffers
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:23 pm

Ooh, me! :)
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 pm

OOoh! Where abouts are you based?

Tiffers
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Postby Louisa C » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 am

There are few events going on this summer. The first is Rochester in Kent, they have a Dickens Festival twice a year and the first is the end of May. Oh and there is one in Weymouth Mid September, a hugh military display but they want as many civilians as possible as well.

Don't know if this is what you are looking for!
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:46 am

Tiffers, I'm based in Uxbridge, Middlesex. I don't have a car, so wherever we go I would have to get there on the public transport. Where are you?

Louise, I am keen to go to Rochester in May. Do you have specific details about it??
Susan T
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Postby Louisa C » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 am

http://www.medway.gov.uk/index/leisure/ ... stival.htm

this is the link to the council's website. the summer one is for three days and the winter one is for two days.

It is a lot of fun and there are parades of costume people (anyone in a costume joins the parade), there are talks, games, a fun fair, last year we even had Charles Dickens great great grandson giving readings from his books! and the crowds are hugh, a lot of people go just to watch.
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:05 am

that sounds like a fantastic idea, even better as i've got a holiday booked in bath for the week beginning 14th june!
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:18 am

Louisa, I was thinking more along the lines of a private group of us making a visit to somewhere interesting followed by a nice victorian tea or something similar! I think the Weymouth event is already in our diaries anyway :)

smt22, I live in Hampshire and can get to the Salisbury and Basingstoke train stations reasonably easy. I am sure that once we know where we are going and who is going, we can sort out a combination of public transport and a lift with someone else who is going!! We'll try to take your location into account :)

So, other than Bath, can anyone else think of somewhere?

One thing we need to consider is somewhere to change...I'm a large lady and dont think I'd like to try traveling in my gown! Plus, we need to think of those on public transport!

Local b&b's for those who decide to make a weekend of it.

Somewhere nice to eat and somewhere nice to visit!

Tiffers
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:28 pm

I think Bath is a really good idea. I'd love to go there!
Susan T
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:56 pm

Count me in! I have a fairly busy calendar of events this year, but as long as its a time that I can make it I would love to!
Prudentia, Celeritas, Audatia, Fortitudo
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:34 am

WP, remind me where you are based?

Tiffers
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm up in the north west, in a little village sort of equidistant from Manchester, Liverpool and Chester. I have a car (or at least will do once it is fixed on monday!) and am happy to travel and pick up those that dont drive if needs be.
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:40 am

I should maybe also mention that I'm very financially challenged as I've been out of work all year, so the whole thing will be cost permitting when the time comes! :roll:

God willing, I will find another job soon.
Susan T
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:33 am

Best of luck finding a new job, but I am sure we can find a way to get you there if not! The more the merrier!
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:58 am

Hmmm, I know you said you would be willing to travel WP, but I'm on the Hampshire/Wiltshire border and was thinking about a house near Salisbury! I'll spread the area I'm looking in a bit I think!!

smt22, good luck finding a new job!! Please dont worry, I am sure we will work something out :)

Tiffers

Return to “Places to go, things to do”