Llandrindod Wells Victorian Festival 2009

List the local events in your area that you think others may enjoy, or list something you heard about that you want more info on.
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Llandrindod Wells Victorian Festival 2009

Postby Tiffers » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 pm

Does anyone have any plans to attend any of the events at the Victorian Festival this year? I seem to recall someone from this forum makes it their yearly holiday or something!

I have just received a flyer about it and I'm very interested in a couple of the events :)

Any stories, photos, hints or tips on how to get the best out of the festival greatly appreciated!!

Tiffers
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:21 am

I had hoped to go last year, but didnt have the time in the end, I would be interested in going this as long as it doesnt clash with any of my other events.
Prudentia, Celeritas, Audatia, Fortitudo
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Postby Louisa C » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 am

I'm the one that makes it my annual holiday! I love it. I haven't had anything through yet, could you please tell me what the main events are?

The best thing is to get the programme when it comes out and decided what you want to attend then. The programme gives you a lot more detail and also lets you know if any of the events clash with anything else.

The best combination i have found is a morning talk, then a stroll around the town, then an afternoon event which is usually either a dance or special event followed by an evening event.

If you look at my album there are a few photos from last year, or you can look at my groups website where there are lots of photos from previous years. www.victorianstollers.co.uk

A lot of us in the group make it our main event of the year.

If you want any further info either PM me or contact the man who is in charge of our website.

Hope this helps.

Louisa C
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:41 am

Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:03 pm

Ahhh! I wasnt sure which one of you it was!! LOL!

I was very kindly sent a flyer which I received at the weekend. I am sending off a cheque to the festival office for a programme which I think will come out in July.

You have all the usual competitions for Gents, Ladies and childrens clothing plus various themed competitions thoughout the week but the one I am especially interested in is the Hat and Parasol competition :)

Day events are listed as:
Grand costume parades, Childrens club, Town Criers, Varous talks, TBC. Costume Ideas, Antique Fair, Themed afternoons (Day at the Races etc), Childrens afternoon an fancy dress parade, Grand Costumed Victorian Tea Dance (Tuesday), Historic Vehicle Display, Bandstand Concerts.

Evening events are:
Empress of India's Ball (espcially interested in this due to our Raj connections!!)
Music Hall
Murder Mystery Dinner
Grand Costumed Ball
Musical Interlude
Stage Spirit
Fancy dress ball
Below Stairs party

More events to be confirmed!!

Loads of stuff!!

Cant wait to get the programme!!

Tiffers
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:47 am

Right, maybe I really should get my arse in gear this year then!
Tiffers - who do I need to cotact to get a programme sent to me?
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Postby Louisa C » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:39 am

Thanks for posting the list. That means more sewing - i thought i had already got everything i needed!!!!

We will have to, nearer the time, arrange a place to meet up. It is impossible at the events as there is so much going on.

I really an excited about what the programme is like this yer, last year was good but it looks like this year will be better. Fingers Crossed!!

Can't wait to see what everyone else is wearing!!!!!!!!

Happy Sewing!
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:06 am

WP, I sent an email with my address to the festival office. The email addy is somewhere on the festival website!

http://www.victorianfestival.co.uk/

Louisa, I agree, we should try to meet up! I've only got one outfit (so far) which is suitable but I hope to add to it with an evening dress of some sort.

What are the Balls like? Music? Food?

Tiffers
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Postby Louisa C » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:25 am

Last year i took 18 dresses with me! Sorry if that makes you panic.

The balls are good - traditional dances which you can learn the day before at teh dance workshop (which is good) with traditional music. The dances are also demonstrated on the night by two pro dancers. No buffet just nibbles and bring your own.

they can be a lot of fun when you don't know what you are doing!!!! or if your skirt falls down in from on Queen Victoria like mine did the first year i went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:04 pm

18 dresses? Nope, that doesnt make me panic at all :) I can only take what I have and I dont for one moment think I am going to have more than 2, maybe 3 outfits! I cant panic over something there is no way I would achieve!! LOL!!

Besides we wouldnt be there for the whole event. Maybe just a long weekend or something. It all depends on the programme of events.

What was the programme last year?

Tiffers
Elizabeth W
Inquiring Mind

Postby Elizabeth W » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:11 pm

ooh, another thing to put on my list of things to see while I'm in the UK (I am meeting with friends in the second week of September, but I'm planning on spending about a month travelling around the UK (when you have to spend 24 hours on a plane in either direction it's really not worth it if you're only there for a week) there's also and SCA event in Wales at the end of August, maybe I could indulge my two favourite eras (16th & 19th centuries) in one week.
Elizabeth W.
The Magpie Costumer
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:22 am

Thanks Tiffers, will get mine ordered! Hope to see some of you there!
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Postby Louisa C » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:04 am

The programme was pretty much the same:

Masked Ball, Grand Ball, Music Hall, Medieval Night (A lot of fun, hoping they are doing it again this year), Murder Mystery Night, Servants Ball, Afternoon Tea Dance, Mock Shooting Party, Village Fete, An afternoon at Balmoral, and a lot more that i can't think of at the moment.

If only coming for a long weekend then yes you don't need as much, but i warn you, as soon as you leave you will be planning for next year! i started off just going for a long weekend, then i went for five days now i do the entier week! You will be bitten by the bug!
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:21 pm

I am planning to go, and would love to meet up with some of you. I will only have one dress, as I had to leave all the ones I'd made in New Zealand when I came over! :roll:
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:55 am

i would love to go!! but unfortunatley i have no more holiday time this year (sniff) will just have to be content with seeing all the beautiful pictures i know you ladies will take :-)
Elizabeth W
Inquiring Mind

Postby Elizabeth W » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:29 pm

If people are planning to meet there it might make sense to have a weekend meeting so those who can't take time off from work during the week can make a weekend trip.
wyte phantom
Inquiring Mind

Postby wyte phantom » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:00 am

A weekend meeting would be better for me as I am not sure if I will be able to get any time off during the week yet. Also, just to be awkward, I would only be able to do the first weekend as I am already booked to be a pirate the second.
Gemma
Costume Afflicted

Postby Gemma » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:41 am

Ooo, I want to come! I'm also booked for the second weekend, but I do have leave left so I could do during the week. I'm excited, but I think I need more dresses!
Gemma
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:20 am

Bonjour,
I was also one of those talking about the Festival. Last year we went for 4 days just to see what it was like but we did not have costumes. We attended a couple of the events, the Male Voice Choir concert and Dressing for the Occasion and saw the procession in the downpour!
This year all my work has been in preparation for Llandrindod Wells.
Of course, I still have plenty to do ( not 18 dresses… :wink: ) but my husband’s costumes and my ball gowns are finished.
I’m waiting impatiently for the programme so that I can reserve tickets for the balls and other events. Our camp site is already booked. It only remains to hope for good weather (not like last year!!).
Perhaps we’ll have the pleasure of seeing you there.
Louisa C
Costume Afflicted

Postby Louisa C » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:26 am

Well this is certainly turning into a good place to meet people. I am so looking forward to putting names to faces. And i am too keeping my fingers crossed for good weather, last year was terrible.

Return to “Places to go, things to do”