Southern CA--Civil War event in Long Beach?

List the local events in your area that you think others may enjoy, or list something you heard about that you want more info on.
Dana
Master Gabber

Southern CA--Civil War event in Long Beach?

Postby Dana » Sat May 03, 2008 9:13 am

I've only heard thru word of mouth about a Civil War event in Long Beach the last weekend of this month. Does anyone know anything about this? Like, where? Who's sponsoring it? Etc.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat May 03, 2008 9:18 am

I've heard about this one but never been. It is pretty good sized and supposed to be lots of fun, form what I've been told.
mgbetz
Inquiring Mind

Postby mgbetz » Sat May 03, 2008 11:44 pm

Ed Mann at Howitzers1@aol.com has the information.

Memorial Day weekend at El Dorada Park, Long Beach, CA.

Hope this helps,

Gwen in l.a.
winstontown.com
Gwen In L.A.
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Mon May 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Thanks, Gwen. I'm trying to find out which section of the park it'll be in. It's a spread out place. Plus I want to find out if there'll be vendors there.
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Wed May 28, 2008 4:32 pm

Finally found a website. The park has a big banner on its fence with this website address. I'm thinking about going but my son wants to go to the Renfaire (Crossroads at Riverview Park in Corona).

Ginny, what say you??? Weather should be great. Long Beach is close enough to the beach that it has mild temp's.

http://www.goldcoastfestivals.com/civil ... rpg_lb.htm
ginnymorgan
Information Junkie

Postby ginnymorgan » Wed May 28, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi Dana, This is supposed to be a great CW event...I have not been to this one but have been to others by the same folks...they do a great job. I don't know about vendors...I think there are a few...
Won't Riverview be going on for a while yet? If so, go to 1860 this weekend and 1460 next weekend :wink:
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Thu May 29, 2008 9:08 am

http://www.renaissanceinfo.com/riverview/

It goes till June 15. But my other weekends are full. I only need to go one day to ACW, the other day I guess we'll do Riverview. Saturday's schedule at the Civil War event looks better than Sunday's so we'll probably go that day.
ginnymorgan
Information Junkie

Postby ginnymorgan » Thu May 29, 2008 9:42 am

Boy, I know what you mean, Dana....always something going on! I like the Faire at Riverview, I worked there for a few years....good people and a lot of fun. Have Fun!
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:01 am

Ginny, you were right. What a great event. There are a huge amount of soldiers attending this event! And a fair amount of horses too. The battle enactments are pretty impressive. Even my jaded Luke was atttentive. I have never seen such a huge military camp either.

Glad I went. I hope they use the same location next year.
ginnymorgan
Information Junkie

Postby ginnymorgan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:24 am

I am so glad you had a good time, Dana. They do a great job. I hope to go next year.

I really give CW reenactors major kudos...they really work at getting it all as authentic as can be. I think we will be doing more with CW in the future. The only thing I do not like about the era is the ugly hairstyles! Nearly every woman without exception wore the same awful style, parted in the middle and drawn back...ugh...Ok if you are young or have great bone structure.....
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:16 am

Well, you got a point there. The women for the most part looked pretty good this weekend. Some really overdid it with the make-up and the curls so that they looked too fake but if their goal never was to look "real" then the point is moot, as they say.

What was nice to have is that the general or commanders, whatever they are called, on horseback, would ride over the the sidelines where the crowds were and talk to us about what we were watching, but they remained in character the whole time.

Then, when the battle was over, many of the other riders would come over to let the kids get a better look at the horses an answer questions. That's when you get to see how many women actually participate in this hobby doing a male impression.

Really nifty event. Maybe we'll see each other at next year's????
ginnymorgan
Information Junkie

Postby ginnymorgan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:54 am

Hi Dana...

So glad the event was fun for you and your son! The makeup etc is a sore point with a lot of CW hardcore reenactors...personally, I am not ready to go without a little but I try to keep it light...just me...definately no lipstick. There are some gals that use it and portray soiled doves...

The commanders etc are great about explaining things to the public..at Calico CW Gens. Grant and Lee used to host a round table discussion with the public about the war...fascinating stuff.

Here is a link to a site that does reenactor photos...he just posted pictures of the LB event...http://www.relivinghistory.net/?q=galle ... temId=8237

I really think we will be there next year!

Return to “Places to go, things to do”