for those without an 18 inch waist....

Post your online finds here, to share with others
Elizabeth W
Inquiring Mind

for those without an 18 inch waist....

Postby Elizabeth W » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:45 pm

I just came across a lovely gown on Antiquedress.com while it isn't especially out of the ordinary in terms of cut or style it is extraordinary because it is such a rare size, approximately a size 20/22 according to the website http://www.antiquedress.com/gallery.htm (scroll down to #4714) It just goes to show that not all women in period lived up to the fashion plate ideal. It's actually quite close to my measurements and despite my general feeling against wearing antiques I would so love to try it on just once. Just as soon as the government starts handing out $5000 cheques to stimulate the economy I can have it all to myself. :wink:
Elizabeth W.
The Magpie Costumer
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:24 pm

Marquise.de has a number of photographs (in the search function, rather than the regular galleries) and most of those women are definitely corseted, and definitely not skinny like twigs.
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 am

There is also the possibility that it was an older woman's mourning dress (and may have been in mourning for years like Mary Lincoln was). And around that time, she went through her "great bloat." In fact, I think this IS her dress! :lol: (j/k) Did you hear about her trying to sell her "old" dresses to come up with money before Lincoln's estate was settled (that took years!)? It was quite the story of the day.
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Elizabeth W
Inquiring Mind

Postby Elizabeth W » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 pm

It's not mourning, it's just a black dress, the two obvious reasons it's not suitable for mourning are, it's got magenta trim around the hem and it's satin, shiny fabrics were considered too flashy for a woman truly in mourning.
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:47 am

omg! i am in love, that dress would fit me like a glove!! damn lack of money....
Countess-Rosina
Costume Afflicted

Postby Countess-Rosina » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:59 pm

Dang - that dress would SO have fit me....too bad it's already sold.

Return to “Look what I just found.....”