I did it! Kinda... :-)

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
LenaWidmark
Window Shopper

I did it! Kinda... :-)

Postby LenaWidmark » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:24 am

I am the queen of procrastination.
I knew early on that I wanted to make 3 dresses for an event at the end of may. I did alot of pinteresting and mental planning. Finally got my patterns and sat on them for a while. Went to Chicago at the end of February and bought tons of fabric. Then I sat on that for a while... :-P
I used LM100 so I started out with the chemise and drawers. Then I made a bunch of mockups of the corset, trying both models and settling on the Dore. The underwear and corset were done on April 12th, dresses were due 19th of may.... Crunch time! I always work best with a deadline anyway :-P
So, five weeks three outfits!
Next on the agenda was the TV101 petticoat with wire bustle, it came together easily enough and apart from my ruffler giving up on me after two thirds of the overlay I'd say it turned out ok.
Then onto my toile of the TV208 - I did my test run in green cotton so that I would be able to use it for my “day dress”. What a great pattern! I sewed my first ever pocket! :-D
I put in some ribbons in the back and tacked up the bustle a bit more since I didn’t really want the train (I realized belatedly that the event would be crowded and people would be stepping on me)
Got some flowered print for the apron and cotton lace I found on curtains at a thrift store.
The bodice I did a mockup for in plain cotton to get it right. Had to have some help to do the fitting since it was my first ever fitted bodice! And sleeves, I had never done more than a cap sleeve before… I learned how to do piping and Oh my GOD I love it!! The automatic buttonhole foot and I needed a little more time to get to know each other than I had so the buttonholes on the green bodice turned out a little wonky but I’ll have to live with that.
I was really glad when I moved on to my steampunk outfit that I had decided just to go with a matching corset. Funny how that goes, the thing that scared me the most before getting started now seemed like the simplest solution! :-P
I did a new version of the skirt – skipping the front of the underskirt and using both the A and B versions of the apron just making the top one a little shorter. The fabric is a horrible plastic thing but I loved the design and the fact that I found two matching patterns. And the trim I found was just amazing! The blouse I got on sale at forever 21 

With the two first outfits done it was time to start cutting into my good fabric. The sumptuous silk!
I flatlined it with a nice cotton and went to work. This time I reduced the train a bit not planning on the big bustle of the green dress. I wanted layers and layers of plaits but that would have to wait until the bodice was done. I went crazy with the piping again and redrew the sleeves as I didn’t quite want as much of a pouf. When the basics were done I went to town on the plaits for the skirt. Made a pleating board and stayed up till 3. I really wanted two layers on the apron and three on the skirt, might go back and add more later. I had bought a plain brown velvet ribbon that I was going to cover the top edge of the plaits with but I just couldn’t find it. So I went with the, so not correct for the time, sequined trim instead just to cover up the shoddy edges. I do really like how it looked though so I might just not care if it is correct and keep it. I really don’t have the ambition to be completely correct :-P

I wanted to add a tiny plait trim to the bodice to cover the boobs a bit and some on the sleeves as well to balance the skirt but I couldn’t get it to look right and I was running out of time.
The last thing I did was the buttonholes on the brown bodice and thank god it worked out great this time! I got the button in place in the car on the way there.
Somewhere in all this I went to a leather workshop and made my harness and the holsters and got started on a hat for the steampunk outfit…. I had all the materials with me and on the morning before masquerade part of the event I took my trusted glue gun and threw it together. I couldn’t get my hat pin to cooperate though so I had to balance the thing until I just got sick of it and put it away :-P

So, here they are, my first ever Victorian dresses. Just one of them would have been the biggest project I had ever made and I admit I cut a few corners but I am very happy with how they turned out anyway.

If the embedded links don't work there are photos here https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipONgo5Zvo-_fhGG0nhqbf9wNsAHa2UeMfChHe0HMvNCdU0E9-5b1eajwuoRjhkgKw?key=X3ppdG5ZblVGeDZjQXgxaVdnOVkwVVVJdWlEVVF3

ImageImage
Heather
Site Admin

Re: I did it! Kinda... :-)

Postby Heather » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:30 am

Very well done! All of it. Thank you for sharing! I can tell how excited you are about it still. That always makes me happy!
LenaWidmark
Window Shopper

Postby LenaWidmark » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:55 am

Thank you Heather!
Sorry for the novel and thank you for fittingsupport on the corset! You are a gem :D

A special thanks to Soundbrigade for supplies and moral support - I couldn't have done it without you Magnus!

Next time I will try to get started in time to be able to do it right. The biggest fears of taking on a project like this are at least gone now :bounce:
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:12 pm

You had me at purple corset. Splendid pattern match across the busk! 8) And I'm always a sucker for a hat with peacock feathers. What a neat shape.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain

Return to “Show and Tell”