Natural Form for a Kid

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
kbtorre
Costume Afflicted

Natural Form for a Kid

Postby kbtorre » Sun May 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Question of the day: How do you get a 10 year to hold still long enough to take decent measurements? I could wonder how Victorian types did it, but then they took family portraits with dead kids, so from a gallows humour point of view, that would make it easier. They did some creepy stuff and I keep trying *not* to imagine the smell....
Attachments
kid natural form.jpg
kid natural form.jpg (192.14 KiB) Viewed 7446 times
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: Natural Form for a Kid

Postby MaryGode » Mon May 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Ok, now you're just showing off! :D

I have questions:

1> Can we see more details on the hat? Cuz dang, that is one fantastic topper.
2> How did you put those bitty pleats in the two layers of hem ruffles?
3> Are these TV patterns altered for a young person's figure? If so, do you have a system of pattern alteration or is it a by the seat of your pants operation?
4> Does this young person know how freaking lucky she is?
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
kbtorre
Costume Afflicted

Postby kbtorre » Tue May 19, 2015 8:30 am

1. Here are some hat pics. The left is mine, the right is the 10 year old's.
2. The ruffle trim came that way. I bought it off ebay. Just look for 'organza pleated trim'. I'm thinking it was done via machine, otherwise I feel really sorry for someone out there.
3. TV125, TV221 and TV324 were just shortened and the cuirass is TV420 without the darts at the waist. I tried to take good measurements to match up the cuirass pieces, but its a toss up whether taking pictures of our cats or getting her to sit still for a measuring/pinning is trickier. Pin poking occurs, loud complaints ensues and then I just guess.
4. She likes to dress up for the conventions in town so she knows. I think.

And thanks!

We'll be at the St Louis Comic Con this Saturday and then probably at the steampunk day of the local ren faire wearing our newest finery.

I'm 'trying' to cobble together backpack rockets...we'll see how that goes...going for the Victorian Jetsons look.
Attachments
hats2.jpg
hats2.jpg (251.91 KiB) Viewed 7415 times
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 am

Opera glasses! How marvelous! And Victorian Jetsons, I'm dying. Any chance you'll do Archon again this year? I'm planning on going for the first time, to see my brother who attends most years but never felt like sharing this information with his only sister. :lol:
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
kbtorre
Costume Afflicted

Postby kbtorre » Tue May 19, 2015 10:06 am

Yep, I plan on being there. She'll be a Victorian Doktor Frankenstein and I'll be the Victorian Monster. They have a Children's Masquerade Saturday morning, which is always cute.

I have all the fabric and trim I need, and I'll get cracking on that as soon as comic con and the ren faire are over. You should see my collection of vintage glass and steel syringes (without the needle of course). The Doktor will have an awesome/scary belt! And a spare brain...and a mini toy gun saw...yeah, we're perfectly sane at our house. :scared:
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sat May 30, 2015 4:03 pm

That outfit is so awesome! If my mom made stuff like that for me at that age, maybe I wouldn't live in jeans and t-shirts today...but ah well. Also, I have serious hat envy. Hat's are still a fluffy confection mystery to me. Maybe I'll actually run into you guys at Archon this year.

Also, Mary, your brother is a horrible brother for not telling you about Archon. And yay for finally going! You'll have fun.

Return to “Show and Tell”