Empress Elisabeth Of Austria: Velvet And Mink

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Vienna La Rouge
Window Shopper

Empress Elisabeth Of Austria: Velvet And Mink

Postby Vienna La Rouge » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:02 pm

It's been a long while since I last posted in this forum. Being too busy to really finish a project as big as this one hasn't helped much, but one of my new year resolutions is to change that. Not just 'try' to, but to do it.

This is my version of a winter ensemble worn by The Empress Elisabeth Of Austria, inspired by a series of well-known photographs of her. I have been working on it, off and on, over the last year. I originally intended to wear it for Dickens fair last year, but became much too busy to finish in time. Luckily I had the time to complete it this year, and even appeared as 'Sisi' herself at Dickens Fair, for Royals Day.
You can see the first set of photos from a shoot I did yesterday (with help from my wonderful fiance) Here:

http://austrianwoman.blogspot.com/2013/12/holiday-at-villa-empress-elisabeth-in.html

A few more photos will be posted in the above blog in the next day or so. Enjoy, and happy holidays!
XOXO
~V

David H Smith
Costume Afflicted

Re: Empress Elisabeth Of Austria: Velvet And Mink

Postby David H Smith » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:23 am

Smashing outfit! I wouldn't worry too much about the dress volume as seen in the original photographs of 'Sissi', they probably look more voluminous on account of her reputed 19" waist! Not sure how true that was, I find it hard to believe that measurement even with a tight laced corset. Her palace in Corfu really is worth a visit if you get the chance to go.
Vienna La Rouge
Window Shopper

Postby Vienna La Rouge » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:02 pm

Thanks so much, David!
My family is German/Austrian and I practically grew up learning about 'Sisi'. She was a rather integral part of my childhood, and one of the reasons I began sewing and costuming ;-)

Usually it's not the waist that makes a skirt look fuller, it's the opposite. Victorian fashion used the effect of a full skirt (even padding out the bust and hips) for a visually smaller waist, to a huge extent.
Actually, I have seen much of Elisabeth's wardrobe in person, and her corseted waist was indeed 19".
She was a very slim lady (think Linda Carter in the old Wonder Woman series. She's Sisi's modern body double), only an inch shorter then me at 5' 8", with an already natural hourglass figure. Her un-corseted waist was between 22"-23". On top of hours of equestrian sports, she worked out in her own gymnasium daily, which is something Vict. women didn't normally do. So it didn't take all that much to create and keep the shape and waistline she had for so many years.
A lot of the stories we hear about her diet are pure myth, but she did have food allergies and strict eating habits that would be considered common by today's trend diet-obsessed society. The beef broth and glass of milk tale is true, and she would have that as a late night meal if she needed it.

xoxo
~V
Val
Inquiring Mind

Postby Val » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 am

This is beautiful. I'd love to make something like that but could never be able to wear it in our hot So. Calif weather. You did an awesome job.
Val
Vienna La Rouge
Window Shopper

Postby Vienna La Rouge » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:12 am

Val wrote:This is beautiful. I'd love to make something like that but could never be able to wear it in our hot So. Calif weather. You did an awesome job.
Val

Thanks, Val!
Funny you should mention warmth; it was actually pretty warm the day we did the above photos, but I was fairly comfortable (and I'm in Northern CA). The outfit has fur trimmings, but the rest is all cotton velveteen and lined in cotton sateen. So it breathes well enough that I don't swelter. Granted, I still wouldn't wear it in the dead of summer in LA either, unless I was indoors somewhere with AC ;-)
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:53 am

You look absolutely fabulous. :D :D :D
Vienna La Rouge
Window Shopper

Postby Vienna La Rouge » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:11 am

Cathi H wrote:You look absolutely fabulous. :D :D :D

Thanks Cathi! xoxo

Return to “Show and Tell”