Talma Wrap

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

Talma Wrap

Postby DarthCynthia » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:28 am

Hello everyone! I just finished the talma wrap and it was such a nice project. The only disappointment I really have is that this winter has been warmer than usual. Doesn't it figure? I have wanted to make a wrap for so long, so of course when I finally do the weather doesn't cooperate.

Fortunately, the morning I decided to try it on and take some photos was actually chilly for a change. It worked perfectly, especially with a muff. I should have sewn the waist tape on more securely -- it snapped off, but we did manage to get some photos to show the back without it sagging too much.

I have a link to a page with photos on it. Sorry for not posting them directly here, but it's just easier to link to it all on my website for easier access.

I did have to change my plans -- originally it was going to be a black wrap with black lace, but I never could find a lace I liked (not to mention, enough of it). My husband also talked me into changing the color. He hoped I would pick something with a little color in it. He found the fabric I used. I just love taking him fabric shopping with me!

My new talma wrap: http://www.cfgriffith.com/costumes/1880s-talma-wrap/.

Anyway, thanks again for TV patterns! I just love using them!
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Talma Wrap

Postby Heather » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:45 am

It came out very pretty! I hate to use silky lining fabric, cause it shifts horribly on you. You have to make sure it is perfectly sqaure before you cut anything out, and then it is never that shape again after cutting. But I am glad to see that you were able to bend it to your will. Good job!!
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

Postby DarthCynthia » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for checking it out, Heather! And as always, a huge thank you for your wonderful tips and replies to our questions here!

This was my first time using a lining like this, and I almost didn't get it. My husband kept nudging me to use it, saying how much nicer it would be to have that be the lining. He's right about the feel, but wow! Yeah, no matter how careful I was, it just kept shifting and warping. Thankfully, I'm so used to piecing chunks in to make things work while figuring out 18th century patterns and fixes, it only frustrated me for a short while. I don't mind if the inside isn't as pretty, so long as I have fun wearing it. Now, if the weather would cooperate better and I could have a few more bustle events on the calendar! ;)
Val
Inquiring Mind

Postby Val » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Your husband picked out a wonderful fabric for it. And your muff is just adorable too. I have some black curly lamb fake fur for one to make someday but I have the same problem as you; most of the time its too warm in So CA to wear it.
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:40 am

Very beautiful. I like it!!! :D
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:41 am

So pretty! I have got to make one of those.

Regarding silky fabrics, I like to use Sullivan's fabric stabilizer spray. (I learned about it at Colette patterns. Sarai even uses it on fine silk! :shock: ) It tames the slipperiness but you do have to wash it out to return to softness. For bagged linings, I spray, cut and sew the seams, and run a stay-stitch around the outside before gently washing the spray away. Then I continue with the lining as usual. If the whole garment is washable you can just leave the stabilizer in until the end and wash the whole thing.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
DarthCynthia
Inquiring Mind

Postby DarthCynthia » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 am

Thank you for the very kind replies, everyone! :D
DuchessArgylle
Costume Afflicted

Postby DuchessArgylle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 pm

That is beautiful! You did a lovely job and I hope you get some cooler weather so that you can wear it out more. Something that gorgeous deserves to be seen.

Return to “Show and Tell”