New Bustle pattern

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

New Bustle pattern

Postby Miss Cindy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Miss Heather,
Your new bustle pattern that you are working on looks amazing! I take it that it is more supportive and maybe a little larger than the others.
I like it!
Miss Cindy
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Heather
Site Admin

Re: New Bustle pattern

Postby Heather » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Yes, it is definitely more supportive, and gives a fuller, rounder backside. And is supports lower down and keep the back going outwards, rather than straight down. I am hoping the get this pattern out by this weekend, so I will keep you posted. I just need Laura to make me a cover illustration.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Imagine if someone made this bustle bigger than their size...that would be an EPIC bustle.

The question is...how do you SIT in it? More of a question for any bustle that's not like the bustle petticoat already available, like the longer LM ones too.
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:35 pm

That is always a question, and a serious point to my bustle styles. I kept this new bustle above the knee, and it actually folds up better then my TV101 bustle. I am really liking it, other than having to make all new skirts and petticoats for it. But hey, how can needing new dresses be a bad thing?

But with long ones, I think it is a matter of having to sit sideways on your chair on one hip, with the bustle swinging to the side. I have never really tried it, but I have seen other people do it. The reason I started my pattern line, with the TV101 bustle, was going to a dinner/ball and watching a lady stand up from the table and walk across the dance floor for everyone to see with her bustle handing off the side of one hip. I knew then and there that I have to give people another option.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Where are you all seeing this new item? I wanna see it too!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:40 pm

There's a picture of it on Truly Victorian's Facebook page (you can still see it even if you don't have an account). Very cool.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Ah, the facebook. The one place I didn't look. Derp!
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:00 am

Or if you prefer, here is the one from here that I was looking at.
http://trulyvictorian.com/gallery2/main ... e.jpg.html
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:46 am

Now I feel super-derpy, 'cause I looked in the gallery! Is there a "pay attention" vitamin? I need it. :lol:
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:11 am

Actually, I think I posted it in the gallery, too.

ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 am

I can't wait to make this in a shade of red!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:32 pm

The new bustle pattern is now available!
You can find out more at:
http://www.trulyvictorian.net/tvxcart/product.php?productid=121&cat=5&page=1
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:08 pm

Awesome! Totally getting this when I start some late bustle projects. Also, for some reason it amuses me that it's "imperial." It's majestically huge!
Laura
Costume Afflicted

Postby Laura » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:47 pm

:lol: We had a great time coming up with names for this bustle.
I wanted to call it the Frigate. I see the full 1887 gown as a large ship sailing across open waters. :mrgreen:
I'm envisioning my gown in black and gold with this imperial bustle beneath it. I already have the fabric and have started the skirt.
Laura
Truly Victorian Honorary Team Member
Spittens
Window Shopper

Postby Spittens » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:11 pm

So quick question, since I am totally going to make this in the biggest size possible after I finish my corset!

What size steel would you reccomend?

I'm ordering it from here since it's the only site I can find that sells in increments of less than 12 yds. http://www.venacavadesign.co.uk/Product ... _55mm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my head, for the ponderous size and weight of the skirts I'm likely to drape over it, seems to me the bigger/heavier the better. However I think the super thick 15mm stuff may not navigate the arc as well as something thinner.

Loving the stripes! I had 6 yards of a red/white striped cotton that I had set aside out of my stash to make the grand bustle out of, so it's great to see this made up in stripes!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:09 pm

SInce here in the US we are pretty limited to the types of wire we can get, I am not all that familiar with what Vena Cava has. I would recommend that you contact them and see what they say. Because there are 7 wires, and angled, they support pretty well. I doubt you need something super heavy. What ever they recommend for standard hoop type wire should be good.
Amphigorey
Costume Afflicted

Postby Amphigorey » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Sitting in this type of bustle is really easy! My bustle is from Period Patterns for Stage & Screen by Jean Hunnisett, and it's a lobster tail like the new pattern. I love it; it's super comfortable, light, and sitting is never a problem. The tail just collapses under you.

I haven't looked at Heather's pattern too closely, so I don't know if it does this, but one modification I made to Hunnisett's pattern was to lace up the inside of the lobster tail, where the bustle rests against your legs, instead of sewing it flat. That way, a) it's a lot easier to sew since you aren't fighting the bones when you put it together and b) you can adjust the curve of the hoops according to which dress you're wearing with it.

Return to “Show and Tell”