Great Expectations

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Great Expectations

Postby smt22 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 am

Dear all,

I wanted to share pictures of some of the costumes that David and I have made this year for our theatre group's production of "Great Expectations". We've never really made costumes for other people before, so this was a big challenge for us, and we are very proud of what we achieved in a few short months! Technically I did the women's costumes and David did the men's, but in reality we both actually worked on everything together.

We first performed the play in the church where our group is based, and then performed it in the open air at a local Manor-House-turned-into-an-Arts-Centre, which is why some of the photos have walls in them and some have trees! We still have two performances to do in September, in another open air location.

Me as Miss Havisham:

David as Mr Jaggers, with Pip and Biddy:

Soldiers and Convicts on the marshes. David made the soldiers' uniforms, including the hats!

Young Pip with Young Estella. This is my favourite out of the dresses I made:

Older Pip and Estella. Spot the Truly Victorian patterns!

Christmas Dinner - with Mr Wopsle, Uncle Pumblechook, Mrs Jo, Pip and Jo Gargery:

Hope you enjoy the pictures. You can see Outline Theatre's website here: http://www.outlinetheatre.co.uk
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Re: Great Expectations

Postby Miss Cindy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:31 am

Wow!
Those are wonderful! And what a great outlet for making the costumes.
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:17 am

Nice work, and lots of it. I thought I was a glutton. :lol: I agree with your favorite dress choice. Charming!

edit: lot's?! LOT'S???!!! Somebody throw an English grammar textbook at me!
Last edited by MaryGode on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
SarahMiller42
Costume Afflicted

Postby SarahMiller42 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Very nice work.
Val
Inquiring Mind

Postby Val » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 am

Love your Miss Haversham. I'm doing her for our Riverside Dickens Fair fashion show next Feb and am messing around with the hat/hair part. I like your headpiece on this.
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:55 am

Thank you all - we really appreciate your kind words. This sure was a marathon, and we don't know what to do with ourselves now that everything is finished! :lol:

Val, I made my headdress in two pieces. The veil, which I bought on Ebay and dyed with tea, is on a plastic comb and anchored down with hairpins. The flowers were white and yellow paper flowers on wire stems. I painted them with watercolours (although I think the tea would have worked on them just as well), and wired them onto a headband to wear in front of the veil. I hope you'll share your own interpretation when it's done.

I'm absolutely loving playing Miss Havisham! It feels like such a privilege, as I think she is one of the truly great Dickens characters. Plus, I get a great death scene :wink: It would be great to get another chance to play her in about 20 years' time, when I'm actually the right age, haha!

Thanks again for the kind comments.
Susan T
Val
Inquiring Mind

Postby Val » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:18 am

Susan, do you have any recommendations for the face makeup? All I've come across is white. I'll be changing from this outfit to a black mourning outfit and a white face may look a little more vampirac than I want.
I'll make a note on my calendar to share my photos since this is next Feb and I KNOW I won't remember.
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:43 am

I'm no expert on makeup unfortunately, so I was sort of improvising, but I can tell you what I did.

Before I started I did a Google search on "How to make yourself look old" and found some interesting Youtube videos which gave me a few ideas, but sadly there are no videos on "How to make yourself look like you haven't been outdoors for 20 years"... :?

I used a white pancake base called "Snazaroo", which I applied with a moist seasponge. You can put this on really thinly so that your own complexion still shows through and it doesn't look like a clown's facepaint. It's water based too, and washes off easily with a facecloth. I was worried when it rained during our first open air performance, but I didn't have any trouble with it coming off!

I steered clear of black or grey eye makeup - as you said I didn't want to look like a vampire. I used brown eyeshadow which gave my eyes a sunken look. I also used brown eyeshadow to put a bit of shading under my cheekbones.

Since I'm only 29 and don't have any wrinkles yet, I raised my eyebrows to see where the lines on my forehead were, and drew them in with a grey eyeliner pencil, also the curved lines from my nose to the corner of my mouth. This doesn't show in the photos, and I don't know if it showed on stage or not. It looked great in the mirror though! A bit of natural toned lipstick as my mouth was invisible with the white makeup on.

Powder the lot when you're done, and if you're really keen, touch it up again over top of the powder.

I hope some of that is helpful to you. If you still don't like the white base, maybe you could try some really pale face powder and see how that looks. I don't know what your natural complexion is like, but I go tanned really easily, and am always trying to stay out of the sun so I won't spoil my Victorian outfits with tan lines! We still have two shows to go of Great Expectations after the holidays, so I'm soaking up the shade all summer this year :roll:
Susan T
Val
Inquiring Mind

Postby Val » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:56 am

That will help, thank you. I am older but no wrinkles yet. But I have blotchy skin, some rosecea. I'm kind of pale already with bluish lips so if it wasn't for the redness, I'd be fine. :oops:
I was also told to be very careful with the white makeup because it really dries out your skin. I wore it for our Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) parade in Old Town San Diego last year, and will be doing it again on Nov 1.
Spittens
Window Shopper

Postby Spittens » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:01 pm

OOOH theater makeup! I used to do a lot of this in HS and College drama classes. The biggest tip I can give you is layer layer layer, and start with less than you think you'll need. You can always add more if it's not right, and for theater you can REALLY pile it on before it will look right under those lights and at a distance.

For a hypoallergenic white face that still shows your complexion, try putting a heavy moisturizer on your face (one that doesn't soak in completely immediately) then brush cornstarch on lightly (I have severe allergies to a lot of makeup ingredients, so I tend to find natural igredients and make my own). For the wrinkles, don't use black or gray, but a more nude toned brown and draw them on, then smudge ever so slightly at the ends of the lines, and scrunch up your face to figure out where your natural wrinkles are to draw them. Also, for the not-so-vampiric but still wan look, try a very neutral dark lavender tone brushed on just under your lower lid and blended up, then in the crease of your top lid. Finish it off with a tiny bit of pearly white-beige on the lid next to your eyelashes and brown mascara. It'll make your eyes appear more sunken but not completely disappear. Then, for a natural but not vampiric finish, a shade of lipcolor 1 to 2 shades darker than your natural lipcolor, and matching liner. Don't forget to blend down your neck and chest as well if they are showing.

If you want vampiric use all white, black, and gray tones with reddish lipcolor, and make your lines heavy and dark.

For roseacea (sp?) a teensy bit of green powder rushed on over the trouble spots will help hide them, also it will add a bit of "pallor" to more tan skin tones.

Edited because I can't spell.
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Postby smt22 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks Spittens, that is some great advice! I would love to do a course one day and learn how to do it all properly. There's got to be somewhere in London that I could go to learn!
Susan T
Spittens
Window Shopper

Postby Spittens » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:22 am

You're very welcome. Always glad to pontificate, lol.

My last tip is to tell you to look at your color wheel, then consider your own colors/features and "undesirable for the effect" traits, like a tan when you want pallor. A lot of times colors you wouldn't even think to put anywhere but your eyelids can be used to great effect for other things. Purples and browns blend but darken and bruise skin, while green counters red, orange, and pink tones. Yellow cancels out black (like the circles under my eyes, lol) while anything with a pearlescent finish will acentuate and highlight natural wrinkles because shadows recede in comparison to the reflected light of a pearl. (Pearls are horrible uder stage lights, they just make one look sweaty, but great for highlighting details when used very sparingly).

I've always enjoyed working with the brush on mineral makeups, you can literally mix ANYTHING up using just a few colors and maybe some water or light moisturizers to make a cream for a thicker application, and they're usually made of inert materials so I have little if any reaction to them (STAY AWAY FROM BARE MINERALS! They use bismuth oxychloride in their formulas and it can literally burn your skin off, but that's a story for another time). For stage makup they have little lasting power, great for film and real life because you can blend and achieve a very natural look but still have the desired effect.

Makeup is like painting a picture, the more time and attention you give it and the more you expirement, the more chances you have of doing something really cool, for special occasions or just for fun 8) .
Val
Inquiring Mind

Postby Val » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:28 am

Mary, I ended up not being able to do a pale face for my Miss Haversham at the Riverside (CA) Dickens Fest fashion show, due to having to change into a black mournng gown for the second half of the fashion show and when I had practiced, I was getting the white on my black dress. But I did tone down my skin tone more than normal.
These are some photos of me. I was using a LaMode Bagatelle pattern for the dress. I had two rows of different lace around the neckline and sleeves.
Attachments
Dickens Miss Haversham by Cynthia Harris.jpg
Dickens Miss Haversham by Cynthia Harris.jpg (24.52 KiB) Viewed 9081 times
dickens2013 by Jerry.jpg
dickens2013 by Jerry.jpg (21.26 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Return to “Show and Tell”