Black and Silver--1872 Vested Bodice

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Black and Silver--1872 Vested Bodice

Postby MaryGode » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Finished just in the nick of time to wear to Anime Iowa 2012 this past weekend:

Sorry about the crappy basement pix. Photographing a black-on-black item is hard under the best conditions. Basement is not best. :lol:

As I was fitting the vest front I had a whole lot of extra in the bust and just enough in the waist. I worked it so it buttons single-breasted in to double-breasted. I think the y-shaped button line looks kinda neat. I'll change the buttons out for something more contrasty so it shows better.

There's even a video! Eleven seconds of swish and wiggle.

Details: TV403, black silk for the bodice, cotton velvet for the revers. The vest is a piece of vintage brocade I found when helping my parents move household. (It's a remnant from a vest I did as a teenager that is my only surviving sewing project from the early days. Very sentimental about that brocade. :oops: ) Flatlined in cotton broadcloth. Vintage lace also found in the move gathered and basted inside the sleeve ends.

Since it was for summer wear I decided not to line the whole front with velvet but instead to make a facing that just clears the roll line of the revers. That worked out very well.

I had the very devil of a time getting the vest to play nice with the rest of the bodice. So as much fun as it was exercising my vocabulary of swear words, I cut another set of backs and made the vest as a separate garment.

The overskirt is the TV362 Wash Overskirt in poly chiffon. The skirt is poly crepe-backed satin, three gores in the front and two full 60 inch widths gathered across the back. (With the gathers just *jammed* together, it barely fit the waistband.) The hat (also silk) I had made quite a while ago trying out variations on the Lynn McMasters top hat pattern. That killer feather ornament is from a shop called 'The Icing by Claire's'.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Re: Black and Silver--1872 Vested Bodice

Postby Andrea L » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:32 pm

That looks awesome! I like the different types of black fabrics that you used. I was waiting for someone to post some pics of the new bodice. Sadly, I just have a mockup in the works, but I'm getting there!

I love what you did with the collar of vest portion. I can't tell if you just folded it down for a collar or did something else. Also, did you have to make any adjustments by making the vest a seperate garment? That always seems to thwart me with this type of stuff.

Also, you are an awesome mom by going to anime conventions. And dressing up no less! Tell your daughters I'll trade moms with them! :lol:
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks Andrea! For the vest I did just fold back the front into a little lapel. I fiddled with the button placement till I got a roll line I liked and just tacked the lapels back with a stitch or two. I thought the open vest neckline echoed the jacket lapels very neatly.

Separating the vest really didn't pose any problems aside from having to do the fitting tweaks on the back twice.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Cathi H
Inquiring Mind

Postby Cathi H » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:20 am

The hat !!!!!!
Gemma
Costume Afflicted

Postby Gemma » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:42 am

Beautiful outfit - I love the way the silver skirt shows through the chiffon overskirt - so simple but so effective! Great job.
Gemma
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 am

Thank you all for your kind compliments!

Gemma, I had intended to have black on black skirts. I made the chiffon first and while it was stored on my dressform over the white cotton bustle petticoat, I realized how neat the drapey line of the overskirt was with the lighter background. Serendipity for the win!
Flippper
Window Shopper

Postby Flippper » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Love, love, love it! And that hat, perfection.

Return to “Show and Tell”