Bustle + Combat Boots = Prom Dress (!)

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Bustle + Combat Boots = Prom Dress (!)

Postby Dede » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Ran out of black hooks n' bars, and decided to mix in nickel. Won't do THAT again... :oops:

Mommy is very tired. She was pinning up bustle with tag gun only moments before. "Don't move! There's a very sharp automatic needle 1/2" from your thigh..."
Lioness
Information Junkie

Re: Bustle + Combat Boots = Prom Dress (!)

Postby Lioness » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:37 pm

VERY nice! AND rather Steamy too! Nice job!
Lioness
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:32 am

SO cute!! She looks very pleased. 8)
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks so much, ladies! Her bustle looks flat in the first photo, but it's the angle - it really is quite full. I'm not thrilled to be on display in Photo #3, but it was the best shot of the entire ensemble.

Prom Girl designed everything. I was merely the seamstress. :mrgreen:
Bel
Window Shopper

Postby Bel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Good Job! I'm currently making my daughter's final year school formal dress and she's wearing boots just like thoses (except we're putting fuschia laces through them instead of black). It's a "cosplay" outfit but she's agreed not to wear the grey body paint and horns - just the wig!
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:28 pm

Bel wrote:It's a "cosplay" outfit

Gray body and horns...It's not Homestuck is it??
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Bel wrote:It's a "cosplay" outfit but she's agreed not to wear the grey body paint and horns - just the wig!

The horns could be quite lovely. :mrgreen:

Mine was hoping Mom would have everything finished in time for Anime Boston... in April (HA!)
Bel
Window Shopper

Postby Bel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:35 am

Oh yes! It's "Homestuck". I know far more about this than I need to. I think our daughters have simialar interests. I remember you were making a Madame Red outfit last year.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:58 am

My older daughter is gills deep into Homestuck. We have materials for Feferi, and i'm so tempted to redesign her blue and green skirt tails into a bustle. Actually, i look at every costume with an eye toward translating it into a bustle dress. Full Bustle Alchemist anybody? :D :D
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:05 am

Bel wrote:Oh yes! It's "Homestuck". I know far more about this than I need to. I think our daughters have simialar interests. I remember you were making a Madame Red outfit last year.

I'll have to ask our resident anime fans about "Homestuck" - not familiar with that one. And yes, Madame Red last year. We finally decided that in the interest of time, it would be better if she just bought her costume. She wore a commercial bridal corset under it.

After the event, she showed me photos of girls who had been wearing the exact same costume - without even the minimal foundation she had. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! She's sold on proper underwear. :mrgreen:
Dede
Costume Afflicted

Postby Dede » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:11 am

MaryGode wrote:Full Bustle Alchemist anybody? :D :D

...and my younger daughter wants Edward's coat - presumably without a bustle. :mrgreen:

Scary that we all know so much about this...
Dede
Costume Afflicted

RE: Homestuck horns

Postby Dede » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:46 am

Not surprisingly, Prom Girl has heard of Homestruck. She suggests clipping in a couple of synthetic orange hair streaks (hair extensions) to provide the barest illusion of horns.

Note: Linked photo is just something I found via Google - not my daughter.
Bel
Window Shopper

Postby Bel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:12 pm

The hair extensions could work. I'll run it past her and see what she thinks.

We have a Ferferi outfit ready for next Saturday's Sydney Supanova convention. The wings were far more time-consuming than I expected. I couldn't use the sewing machine as the organza stretched out of shape too much so I had to do them all by hand. If I had known I wouldn't have agreed to do it. My daughter made the skirt but I did the rest of the sewing. Her school formal dress is also Ferferi (I think) based on a design by another fan.

Full-Bustle Alchemist. Very funny!

Return to “Show and Tell”