Edwardian Ensemble

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Clare Louise

Edwardian Ensemble

Postby Clare Louise » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Finished at last - my Edwardian outfit.
The skirt is a navy blue cotton/linen blend using TVE21 & I am wearing corset TVE01 underneath. I created the hat myself using a buckram base covered in fabric. My daughter also wears the TVE21 skirt, shortened to suit her age.
We had a lovely day out with some friends dressed in our finery!
Attachments
DSC_0741.jpg
DSC_0741.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
DSC_0804.jpg
DSC_0804.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
DSC_0775.jpg
DSC_0775.jpg (26.26 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Re: Edwardian Ensemble

Postby smt22 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:02 am

You look terrific! Where did you go for your day out?
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:29 pm

I just love how your outfit looks. Especially in the picture of you with the other lady in the white dress. The differences between the two of you are so subtle, but very effective. The corset is great, and gives you that Edwardian shaping. Even from the front, you can see the shift forwards. And the skirt just looks so much more elegant. Well done!!

You have totally inspired me to start working on my own version of the Trumpet Skirt. I just got back from JoAnns, and finally found the right shade of blue for the lining skirt that will match the outer skirt. Mine is a periwinkle blue linen-ish fabric.
Clare Louise

Postby Clare Louise » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 pm

Thank you ladies. I live in NZ and we went to an historic house called Highwic which hosts a 'Victorian Tea' one Sunday a month. It gives me & my friend in the picture an excuse to wear our latest creations.

I must admit, out of all the period clothing I have made this was the most uncomfortable to wear. Though I have to say I don't like anything around my neck so the high collar was something I wasn't used to. Sitting down was the most uncomfortable with the corset coming low over the hip. However the silhouette it creates is just fantastic, and I love how the skirt flares out at the bottom. It really is a lovely pattern.

I can't wait to see your periwinkle blue skirt. I do hope you will post pictures when it's done.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:36 am

You know, I said before that I wasn't fond of the Edwardian look...and now I'm thinking I just don't like fashion plate illustrations of Edwardian women because you all look gorgeous, and I'm drawn to just the overall aesthetic of it in a different way than Victorian dresses. Can't quite put my finger on it. But that aside, you all look lovely, picture perfect models of what REAL women looked like back then, not the illustrations.
Val
Inquiring Mind

Postby Val » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:33 pm

That's beautiful! I just finished mine too. Its a great pattern with so many options to change it.

Return to “Show and Tell”