Talma and formal outfit

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
SarahMiller42
Costume Afflicted

Talma and formal outfit

Postby SarahMiller42 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:47 am

So yesterday a group of Roce City Steampunks, Local 23 went to the Pittock Mansion to see it decorated for the holidays (they go all out every year with a different theme) and I finally got some good pictures of things I've had done for sometime.

First up is the Talma. I made it with a cotton home dec fabric, interlined it with Cotton/Bamboo quilt batting and lined it with sweatshirt fleece and the outside decoration is a silk velvet. The made I totally made up as I went along so I made it too big and doubled it over and put a purse catch in the fold so I can shove my cell phone, keys and wallet in it. It has two layers of batting and made of the same stuff. The bonnet is from an 1869 pattern from Ageless Patterns. I made a buckrum frame and used 21 gauge millinary wire around it. This frame I covered with the silk velvet and then used silver duiponi for the ruffles. ties, and lining.

I think I've posted a picture of my Ball gown here before so this is the other bodice that goes with those skirts. It's a velvet (cotton and some sort of unnantural fiber since it streatches but was unlabled when I bought it.) dinner bodice.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: Talma and formal outfit

Postby MaryGode » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:01 pm

What a fun outing. Your dress is a fitting decoration for those lovely stairs. :D
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 am

It looks like you planned well to have your talma wrap. Boy was it cold or were you acting like it was cold, because you LOOK cold. :)
And your dress is lovely. I really like the color combination.
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
SarahMiller42
Costume Afflicted

Postby SarahMiller42 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:53 pm

It was cold (just above freezing since none of the water was frozen) but for once it wasn't raining it was windy however and that made it feel colder than it was.

Thank you. I do love that outfit but don't get to wear it often enough since I won't drag the silk skirts through the rain and mud. I generally wear the bodice with the washable linen skirt but since it hadn't rained I decided to risk it and my risk paid off.=)

Return to “Show and Tell”