18th Century Gown

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Oralius
Window Shopper

18th Century Gown

Postby Oralius » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:53 am

I am fairly new to sewing, primarily becayse I am sitll quite young, and I have been a fan of all things historical since I was seven years old. Not even two years ago, I recieved my grandmother's old sewing machine. I made a modern dress and then began to try historical patterns, using a Butterick pattern. It came out well, and I persisted, making a formal outfit for middle school graduation. Over the summer, I made a colonial American gown for my Halloween costume.
_DSC8581-1-W.jpg
_DSC8581-1-W.jpg (147.67 KiB) Viewed 4936 times

A few months later, I found this site. My new project is a Civil War gown, and this time I will be working with better patterns and more time, so it should be much nicer. (The other one was made in a week with no crinoline wire, patterns that had to be scaled up, and no instructions on how to assemble the stays. There was a lot of improvisation involved.)

Oralius
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Re: 18th Century Gown

Postby rajani » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:44 pm

This is so cute! You totally look the part. Great job!
Oralius
Window Shopper

Postby Oralius » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:57 pm

Thank you! It's my first multi-layer project, complete with shift, stays, pannier(flimsy, no wire avalible), petticoat, gown and shawl.
I was quite happy with the results, given the obstacles (no wire and a bad pattern for the stays), but now I can't find anywhere to wear it! Does anyone know of any Colonial Balls or the like in the New York area?
Oralius
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Where, exactly, are you? I grew up in upstate NY, a few of the things I used to know of might still be around... I'm not *that* old, after all. Your location will determine whether you'll find more 18th century or 19th century activities to link up with.
:fence:
Oralius
Window Shopper

Postby Oralius » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:26 pm

I'm close to New York City -- thanks for the help, it seems a wast to wear it to a very small, 5-person party and never again.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Well done, your dress is lovely. It's always nice to see young people catch the sewing bug! Good luck on your next gown. :D
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Try the Smoke and Fire site http://www.smoke-fire.com/ They publish a paper that has LOADS of events in it. Everything from Medieval to Civ War to Old West. I have gotten this paper a couple of times and am always amazed by the number of events it lists.

Return to “Show and Tell”