Heather is brilliant

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Heather is brilliant

Postby Iris » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:00 pm

We just finished neighborhood trick or treating. I though it might be a little spooky to dress as the original owner of my 115-year-old house -- already had the set decorated.
Finished a skirt based on Tudorlinks' 1895 skirt (copied before I found Heather's site). I had an appropriate antique bodice in good, strong, wearable condition. Petticoats were a problem: only one in the right shape. Found a YouTube site with plenty of advice on how to do period-appropriate hair -- easy. Had found pretty-darn-close shoes last summer and of course I have long stockings and garters.
Heather said in response to a recent post (that I couldn't find tonight) that you have to get the hair and underpinnings right to get the right look -- otherwise you're looking at a dress through modern eyes. She is so right!
I looked in the mirror and suddenly understood my house's architecture. The details really make a huge difference in perspective.
I have new appreciation for the chairs, too. Didn't even dare sitting on my modern sofa -- too squishy to get up conveniently.
BTW, I'm going to be sewing a better second petticoat before I wear this skirt again. The right underthings as well as the right hair make soooo much difference. Thanks for the brilliant insights, Heather.
Heather
Site Admin

Re: Heather is brilliant

Postby Heather » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:31 pm

You're so welcome!! I am glad you had a great Halloween!
Pamlin
Costume Afflicted

Re: Heather is brilliant

Postby Pamlin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:34 am

PICTURES!!! Pictures!!!
Pamlin

Return to “Show and Tell”