I'm in the Steampunk Chronicle!!

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Heather
Site Admin

I'm in the Steampunk Chronicle!!

Postby Heather » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:35 am

I just did an interview with the Steampunk Chronicle, an online magazine. You can read the article here:

http://steampunkchronicle.com/ArticleView/tabid/238/ArticleId/96/Q-A-with-Heather-McNaughton-of-Truly-Victorian.aspx

Looks like they have quite a few other fun thing to read as well. Enjoy!!
loretta t
Costume Afflicted

Re: I'm in the Steampunk Chronicle!!

Postby loretta t » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:59 am

GREAT!!! Loved the article and thanks for another site to explore.
My grandma always said I was an old soul in a new body.
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:17 am

Hi all! My alter-ego is Wilhelmina Frame. I thought Heather would be a great subject for a Chronicle piece. I'm newly minted as their Editrix de Mode (fashion editor) and I have lots of fun and informative pieces lined up.

check us out!
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Great article! It was nice that you mentioned that the backbone of steampunk (or any type of -punk) is the clothing appropriate for the era. If you don't have that, then you won't be able to capture the steampunk feel of what you wear. Actually, steampunk is the reason why I got into Victorian stuff at all. My friend tried to get me into it, coincidently shortly after I learned how to sew, and while I couldn't really get into the steampunk aesthetic (I'm coming around to it), I fell in love with the Victorian part of it. Which led me to making a corset. Which led me into more Victorian clothing. Which led me straight here. You are the third or fourth site that pops up when I type in victorian sewing patterns.

It also increased my love of history, since researching clothing spills into other aspects of Victorian life. And it unexpectedly gave me a focus for the novel series I'm writing. I wanted it to be non-modern but not as far back as the Renaissance, which made it a nebulous 18th-19th century-like world. But the more research I did on the post 1870 Victorian era, the more it said to me "this is what you were looking for." The technology, the mores, the overall feel. Even parts of the feminist movement are brought in to my novels. So that gives me more reason to do research to integrate more Victorian-like stuff into my novels (first thing I put in was trains). Which gives me more reason to do more clothing research. Which gives me more reason to actually making said clothing. Even that is useful. I now have a very rough timescale on how long it would have taken to make clothing with some aide of a sewing machine. Like with steampunk, I think a good backbone of a fantasy world is research, even if you're not going to follow it to the letter.

I laughed when I read the part about you and steampunk accessories. I'm with ya there. Luckily, my friend is the exact opposite. She doesn't have the patience to sew (though I keep telling her how simple it is to make your patterns), but she's good at jewelrymaking and has made her own goggles and guns and other things like that. We need to join forces!
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 am

That is a great article, Heather!

I have always thought of truly victorian as the "go to" for all my patterns!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:37 am

Great article! I just received an invitation to a Steampunk themed wedding in November, so I'm thinking that wedding will be a "practice run" dress for the dress I want to make for my own wedding.
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Great article! Love the pictures of your beautiful dresses!

I got into Victorian clothing as an aside to Cowboy Action Shooting but now I have to say that I enjoy that aspect even more than the shooting part. It also brought me to the steampunk genre as well, and although I don't participate in many steampunk activities I find the whole idea of the mix of sic-fi, technology and history to be fascinating. I just think Victorian clothing is so luxurious to wear... I am not normally a very feminine gal at all, more of a tomboy, but that all changes when I put on one of those gorgeous bustle dresses :)

Raji
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:20 pm

I have a question....is the movie Cowboys and Aliens considered "steampunk?"
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:28 pm

rajani wrote:I am not normally a very feminine gal at all, more of a tomboy, but that all changes when I put on one of those gorgeous bustle dresses :)

Ditto on that one! I have four dresses to my name: two I wore to weddings one I wore to my college graduation, and the other one was my original college graduation dress that was too long according to whatever rules, but I did wear it for a friend's photo shoot for an art project. But I have a whole bin of Victorian petticoats, skirts, and tons more fabric to make more of the same. The only girly bone in my body is right next to my sewing one. :lol: I think that's part of the reason why I love Victorian clothing so much. It's a way to be girly, make something spectacular, and continuously challenge myself by trying new things. Plus, does anyone else get a kick out of people's reactions when they ask what you sew and you say Victorian clothing?
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Andrea L wrote:Plus, does anyone else get a kick out of people's reactions when they ask what you sew and you say Victorian clothing?

That's SO true! I chuckle when I'm at the fabric store and the girls at the cutting table ask me that question. You know they ask it of every customer because they are supposed to make polite chat, but they always perk up when I say I'm making a Victorian bustle dress. Not your standard answer AT ALL :D
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:13 am

diana wrote:I have a question....is the movie Cowboys and Aliens considered "steampunk?"

I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen the trailer. It seems more like just an alien invasion movie but set in the 1800s than what I think of steampunk. But some who knows more about the movie could clairify.

rajani wrote:That's SO true! I chuckle when I'm at the fabric store and the girls at the cutting table ask me that question. You know they ask it of every customer because they are supposed to make polite chat, but they always perk up when I say I'm making a Victorian bustle dress. Not your standard answer AT ALL :D

It's especially funny for me because I go to a sewing class at the Hancock Fabrics near where I live (I'm not taking the class right now, just there for sewing nerd company ^_^). I have several of the women who work there asking about updates on my project, and what did I bring in to work on, and all that. They got all excited when I showed them my corset today. They'll be absolutely tickled when I get done with the whole outfit.

Return to “Show and Tell”