Rum Punch Ballgown

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Rum Punch Ballgown

Postby gretagretchen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:02 pm

This dress started off inspired by the dress on the cover of the 19th Century Fashion in Detail book from the V & A and veered off from there pretty quickly. All that remains are circles and pleats. It sure is fun to wear and relatively cool and comfy on a steamy Atlanta evening.

Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: Rum Punch Ballgown

Postby MaryGode » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Love it! I have fabric to do that dress too, if I ever get it moved up my list. Your neckline is very flattering, and those sleeves are so perky and cute. Image
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Thank you! Considering I have big arms I wasn't sure that little puffy sleeve would actually look good -- but it really does! That dress was a cost bonus too -- $2.50 per yard for the fabric and $0.19 per yard on the trim. And I'm wearing garage sale and swap jewelry. Makes up a little for some of the other projects I have in the hopper!
loretta t
Costume Afflicted

Postby loretta t » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Super Cute!!
My grandma always said I was an old soul in a new body.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Did you do a hat or other headdress? Your hats are always adorable. Image
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Thanks so much Mary!

I made a playing card and feather fascinator but I didn't end up wearing it. I didn't really have the right hair fastener in my stash so when I put my falls on I couldn't get it to sit where I wanted. It was supposed to look like a mantilla comb. I'll either adjusting or gift it to someone at some point. I'll take a photo so you can see. It turned out cute, if a bit too heavy.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:54 am

Oo! I knew you must have made a hat! :D

I keep looking at and analyzing your sleeves. I think what makes them work so well is that they're dropped off the shoulder. My upper arms could feed a family of six, so I usually avoid short puff sleeves. I've wanted to do a ballgown bodice but always hesitated, in part because my events are always day time ones, but also because of my assumption that I'd hate the little puff sleeves on TV416 and abandon the whole thing at the muslin stage. Your results have encouraged me to try!
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:16 am

Yes! I was pleasantly surprised with the sleeves. I don't like them unconditionally but I think they totally work on this dress. I did make them a couple sizes bigger than my actual bodice size so the would not be too tight or bind.

My husband just posted one of the photos he took before I left for the event.

Rebecca
Inquiring Mind

Postby Rebecca » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:16 am

You look so cute!! I totally love that V&A dress you used as inspiration. Love how you used the diagonals on the fabric. What a fun dress!!

Return to “Show and Tell”