My First Victorian Dress!

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
7brides7brothers
Costume Afflicted

My First Victorian Dress!

Postby 7brides7brothers » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:48 pm

This is the first victorian dress that my mother and I have attempted to make. We used TV101 for the bustle, TV216(Parisian trained skirt), and TV422(Dinner bodice). I already had the undergarmets and corset from a previous civil war dress. We used a burgundy fabric with black trim. I do not have a picture of the bustle yet, but it is white and red (used extra fabric that was lying around). I don't have many places to wear the dress which is a tragedy!

We altered the bodice neckline to look like a dress I saw in Frank Leslies Magazine from 1875. There were so many dresses I loved from that magazine, I took elements from many of them and put them into my dress.

My mother and I made this for last halloween. We are still working on the hat!

I am hoping to make another victorian dress soon. We had fun making it, but it was rigged together a lot!! haha.

This first picture is me in a Civil War dress from a few years ago. I did not know of trulyvictorian at the time, so I used a simplicity pattern.
Last edited by 7brides7brothers on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: My First Victorian Dress!

Postby MaryGode » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Another red gown, I'm having red envy. It's lovely!!

it was rigged together a lot!! haha.

If nobody else sees it, it doesn't exist! Image
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:27 pm

MaryGode wrote:Another red gown, I'm having red envy. It's lovely!!

Ditto! Man, between this dress and rajani's dress, the creative part of my brain that comes up with insane ideas and also won't shut up about said ideas is going absolutely crazy about making a dark red/burgandy and black dress for myself (fine, brain, next year!) It's gorgeous! What type of fabric did you use? I love the iridescence of it!

And hey, if you had to do a rush job and had to rig some stuff together, yeah, it kinda sucks that you didn't have time to finish everything, but you can always go back to it. Yes, no one can see the flaws and unfinished stuff, but you'll know it's there, and for me it bothers me. But things can always be finished up later.
7brides7brothers
Costume Afflicted

Postby 7brides7brothers » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:32 pm

Andrea L wrote:What type of fabric did you use? I love the iridescence of it!

Unfortunately, I did not use silk like I really wanted to. Where I live, there is only a Hancock fabric store in town to buy fabric from. Sometimes when I travel I visit other fabric stores with a better selection. At the time, the silk was way too expensive so I bought this 100% polyester fabric. It feels very similar to silk (just a little more rough).
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:08 pm

The closest fabric store to me is Hancock too, otherwise I'd have to drive at least a half hour to get to the nearest one, and I live in the St. Louis area, so it's not like it's a small place! I think I saw that fabric when I went there today (shopping for more trim while it's 40% off and raiding the remenant table...) Now I'm sorely tempted to buy it. And don't feel bad about not being able to afford silk. It's not cheap. Considering that these dresses require a minimum of several yards, without trim, price is definitely an issue...which is why my first outfit is made out of cotton. Just in case I mess up, it will be on $5/yd fabric and not $15. ^_^
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:17 pm

Ahhhhh! Your color choice makes you a kindred spirit! Love the red and black! The dress also looks very good on you.... very flattering for your figure.

Don't you feel a sense of accomplishment to have made something this complex? I think that "rigging" is OK, to a point...These are not easy dresses to make and take a lot of work... I found with mine, the first time wasn't always the best result and on a couple pieces I had to make more than one or redo... but I learned something and know what to do on the next dress. And I agree with the poster who said you can always go back and fix it if it bothers you. :) I can't tell from your pictures though that it isn't 100% perfect... it's really beautiful :D

Good job!
Raji
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:39 pm

It's really lovely!
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
gretagretchen
Inquiring Mind

Postby gretagretchen » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Andrea L wrote:
MaryGode wrote:Another red gown, I'm having red envy. It's lovely!!

Ditto! Man, between this dress and rajani's dress, the creative part of my brain that comes up with insane ideas and also won't shut up about said ideas is going absolutely crazy about making a dark red/burgandy and black dress for myself (fine, brain, next year!) It's gorgeous! What type of fabric did you use? I love the iridescence of it!

I'm about to start work on a Merlot ballgown so there's going to be more red upcoming!

Lovely job on both dresses.
Aka Wilhelmina Frame, Editrix de Mode, steampunkchronicle.com
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 am

Man, by the time I make my own red dress, red won't be the "it" color anymore! :lol:
7brides7brothers
Costume Afflicted

Postby 7brides7brothers » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Today I just wore my victorian dress to Deadwood! They were having their Days of '76 parade and I thought this would be a great time to wear the dress. It was awesome to be able to wear the dress in a town that was founded and busy in 1876! Unfortunately, I have no pictures because there are not any great spots to take pictures. All the good spots either had too many cars or too many people in the way. However, it was a great day!
Rebecca
Inquiring Mind

Postby Rebecca » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 am

Wow! If that's your first bustle dress I can't wait to see what you come up with once you get some "experience"!!! 8)

Return to “Show and Tell”