Natural Form gown and Butterfly Train.... done!

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Re: Natural Form gown and Butterfly Train.... done!

Postby rajani » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:54 am

Well everyone.... the dress was a success.... I won a trophy for 1st place Best Dressed Lady at the shoot!

It was SO fun to wear (although a little hot) and with the antique jewelry I had and all the accessories, it made a really nice complete outfit. I am very pleased! Can't wait to start my next one now.... I am energized!!!!!

:D
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:03 pm

PICTURES PLEASE!!!!

So what do you have in mind for your next project? Will it be red? :D
Heidi Aphrodite
Costume Afflicted

Postby Heidi Aphrodite » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:18 pm

I'd been wondering if that neckline might be a little to know--good to see it can be raised without affecting the beauty of the bodice! Thanks for sharing. :)
"Fashion is spinach." James Thurber
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Heidi: Yes, the first muslin I cut was with the original neckline. I cannot normally wear super low necklines due to a surgery (without a lot of finagling, which I didn't want to have to do with this dress). I just kept raising it up til it covered what it needed to cover, adjusting the fit as I went. It actually felt pretty nice and open anyway. Definitely much cooler than wearing a high neckline, which I didn't want to have to do in the middle of July.

Andrea: I saw a couple of ideas for a dress online that I am thinking about doing, but haven't yet decided on a color. I did get about 10 yards of chocolate brown 100% silk dupioni for such a steal of a price I couldn't pass it up, but I want to keep whatever I make next a bit "lighter" in feel so I have been thinking about teaming that chocolate up with some more pastel color, maybe a light rose pink, a peach, or even a teal blue. However, I have been totally drawn to the idea of creating a cream and butter-yellow ball gown.... have to think about this one a bit... but something frothy, light, and luxurious with a lot of trim detail. Have it in my head but just haven't found the right fabrics yet!

Raji
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Andrea L wrote:PICTURES PLEASE!!!!

So what do you have in mind for your next project? Will it be red? :D

Andrea.... Day before yesterday I found 10 yards of this 100% silk taffeta for $8 a yard. Gorgeous pastel stripes in peach, taupe, and butter yellow. I could not pass this up, so it looks like this is going to be my next project. I'm looking for some butter-yellow, peach and/or cream solid silk to go with it (have a potential source that won't break the bank), and I was thinking maybe the early bustle polonaise might work for this... either that or I'll make the polonaise in the plain color and use the stripes for the underskirt and ruffled/pleated/ruched trims. The other thought was to do a natural form fantail skirt and a bodice similar to the one I made for my red dress.

What do you think????? :D

raji
Attachments
41IqLQxwikL._SS500_.jpg
41IqLQxwikL._SS500_.jpg (31.05 KiB) Viewed 8947 times
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Oooh...I love the colors in that! And for $8/yd! Lucky! One day, I will make a taffeta dress...

Man, choices. I've fallen in absolute love with Early Bustle and Natural Form, so that's a toughie. I think if I were making it, I would do the polonaise in that fabric and the skirt the peach or yellow color in it. But that would also look really good with a NF faux vest bodice too. And using that fabric for a fantail skirt plus that bodice would be gorgeous. I don't know! It will be lovely, whichever one you decide.
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Andrea,

I started out really loving the late bustle period, but the more and more I get into this, the more I like Natural Form, too. There's just something really elegant about the sweep and line of a Natural Form skirt. I find myself gravitating to patterns from that period all the time! I do recall reading somewhere that a polonaise could be put over a fantail skirt, which is really appealing to me also.

I thought, like you did, that the stripes should go on the top and not on the skirt, but because the stripe pattern repeat is really wide it might be tough to get it to look right without a lot of finagling and wasted fabric, which is why I considered making the skirt out of it. I might just pin the fabric yardage up on my mannequin to see how each way would appear before I decide. I thought maybe it would be interesting to do the bodice and underskirt out of solid color, and do a spectacular multilayered overskirt out of the stripes, bringing more stripes to the outfit via a false vest front, hat, big bow, parasol, ruffles, or some other place in the outfit.

Another idea is making a fantail skirt out of the stripes and then with a yard each of the component solid colors from the stripes, doing rows of ruffles along the train portion using alternating colors, then I could mix and match any of those colors elsewhere on the dress and it would all tie together.

Oh and taffeta.... I have always wanted to make a real silk dress. But, with the price of 100% silk taffeta running from $20 to $60 a yard and up, though, just the cost of that fabric alone for a Victorian dress will run you into the hundreds of dollars even before you start sewing. That's why I used poly taffeta on the red dress I just finished. If you get the RIGHT kind of poly taffeta, it has a nice, crispy hand and is hard to distinguish from real silk taffeta, at about half the price or less. But $8 a yard for real silk? Even though it wasn't exactly what I had in mind for my next project, I couldn't pass it up. Sometimes you don't go out looking for the project... the project comes looking for you!

So many ideas, so little time!!!! :D

Raji
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Andrea, check at the Hancock Fabrics near you from time to time for silk. Here in the last few weeks I've gotten silk in the drapery aisles with the 'half off red tag' sales going lately for five(!) dollars a yard. It's not crisp enough to be called taffeta, or slubby enough to really be called dupioni but it is still 100% caterpillar and totally gorgeous.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:15 am

MaryGode wrote:Andrea, check at the Hancock Fabrics near you from time to time for silk. Here in the last few weeks I've gotten silk in the drapery aisles with the 'half off red tag' sales going lately for five(!) dollars a yard. It's not crisp enough to be called taffeta, or slubby enough to really be called dupioni but it is still 100% caterpillar and totally gorgeous.

Andrea.... Mary is correct about Hancock's. That's where my new stripe taffeta came from (and this particular stripe IS taffeta, it is very very crispy). I also bought 10 yards each of a chocolate brown and gold 100% silk (not taffeta, more like shantung... small slubs), plus a 4 yard piece of a check silk with about 6 different colors in it that will be easy to match a solid to, and is enough to make an overskirt and some trims. The stripe was the most expensive at $8 yd. The chocolate and gold I paid $4.25 for because it was $5 a yard on clearance but I was able to use a coupon on top of that. What a steal. When I figured out they were letting this stuff go so cheaply, I went to every Hancock's in my area and bought all the red-tag silk as long as the color was acceptable. :) There were 10 yards of another stripe fabric I would have purchased but it was too close in pattern and color to the one I did buy.

They also do the same thing with poly taffeta.... and it's even cheaper. The store had nearly an entire bolt of autumn gold silk-look poly taffeta for $3 a yard before coupons. I'd have bought it but it was nearly identical in color to the 100% silk I bought.

Make a practice of checking the red tag/everyday deals home decor section (for everything, not just silk). It's often a much better place to buy fabric for Victorian projects than the regular fabric stocks. Know what they carry and then plan on hitting the store when they have the special sales, and you can get good fabric for next to nothing!

Raji
mette.wikkelso
Costume Afflicted

Postby mette.wikkelso » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 am

Meeeeh!
I want to live in the US! Here in Scandinavia we are lucky if we find something below 20$/m! That makes a full silk dress damn expensive.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I went to every Hancock's in my area and bought all the red-tag silk as long as the color was acceptable.

I thought I was the only one who did that! Image Andrea, you might want to have them check the price when you're there just looking. At my stores up here I can never tell what the price is on the red tag drapery bolts with the discount signs posted and I've been surprised to find the low price on silks that weren't clearly marked.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Aw, man, why did you tell me that? I'm at Hancock at least once a week for a sewing group, and now I'm going to be combing through the red tag area and spending money I really, really shouldn't...but it's so pretty...well, maybe buying random fabric will inspire me more for my outfits. Though I did just spend a good chunk of money last month on that twill for another project...

Well, it doesn't hurt to look, does it? :lol: I might swing by tomorrow to browse since I'll be passing by there on the way home. And I'll probably be buying some of the bazillion yards of lace that my sewing teacher is trying to get rid of, and of course if you have lace, you need to make a dress for it. Right? That counts as logic around here, right? :lol:

mette.wikkelso wrote:Meeeeh!
I want to live in the US! Here in Scandinavia we are lucky if we find something below 20$/m! That makes a full silk dress damn expensive.

I would try looking online since many online sellers ship internationally. Maybe some of the other people on the board have suggestions for good international silk sites.
rajani
Costume Afflicted

Postby rajani » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:04 am

MaryGode wrote:I thought I was the only one who did that! Image Andrea, you might want to have them check the price when you're there just looking. At my stores up here I can never tell what the price is on the red tag drapery bolts with the discount signs posted and I've been surprised to find the low price on silks that weren't clearly marked.

Heheh Mary you and I are kindred spirits when it comes to shopping for fabric....

The same thing happens at the Hancock's stores in my area. I ALWAYS, always ask them to price check red tag fabrics BEFORE having them cut. About 80% of the time the price is lower than marked, and if I had been dumbing down my project due to budget constraints, I can go whole hog and get enough fabric to do it as originally planned. I just checked the receipt for my stripe silk last night (I keep receipts so I know what the project costs), and imagine my surprise to find out that they didn't charge me $8 a yard, but $7.20! There must have been some sort of special for people with frequent purchase cards??? :D :D I always give them my card, and I've noticed one cashier always gives me the coupon price for that card whether or not I have the coupon.

For the lady from Scandinavia who is looking for silks, I have found more than one vendor selling 100% silk on Ebay for around $12 per yard. Some of them will ship internationally, so you might want to check there, too. I just bought 10 yards of aqua and white gingham check dupioni for this price (haven't seen it yet so can't comment on the quality).

Raji
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:01 am

Andrea, I wonder if we've ever been in the store at the same time. When I visit my mom in Hazelwood we always make a trip to Hancocks. If I lived there we'd be hunting the same sorts of fabric. Scary. :fence:
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:02 pm

mette.wikkelso wrote:Meeeeh!

I was just browsing Fashion Fabrics Club, and I see they will ship internationally. What with shipping and duties and other fees, I don't know if the prices would end up any less that you could get there. I was looking at sheer silks, chiffons and the like. They were in the $8/yd range pretty much.

Andrea, did you know Fashion Fabrics Club is there in St Louis? (10490 Baur Blvd. • St. Louis, MO • 63132) I went to their store front a few years ago, dunno if they still have that, but I do know that they will let you pickup fabric ordered online. You'd have to wait a day's lead time or so, but you would save shipping. Not as instantly gratifying as the fabric store, but a much wider selection.

Return to “Show and Tell”