1856 Gathered front dress

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Pamlin
Costume Afflicted

1856 Gathered front dress

Postby Pamlin » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:15 am

This was done for a friend of mine, who is going to the Battle of Manassas (aka First Bull Run) next weekend. She came up for a weekend from VA for a fitting and a lesson in how to sew from a pattern. This is only my second foray into civil war/crinoline, so it was a total learning experience!

The Cage Crinoline

Petticoat (made from a cotton dust ruffle found at goodwill -great instructions for this quick and dirty version can be found here: http://www.shasta.com/suesgoodco/newciv ... roject.htm

Gown

I broke off the adjusting key on my dress form when doing this gown, so it no longer closes properly, hence the gaping on the bodice.

Bodice pinned onto the form, so you can see the shape.
Pamlin
AmandaDC3
Window Shopper

Re: 1856 Gathered front dress

Postby AmandaDC3 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:50 am

So pretty! Please post pictures of her at the event...
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Postby MaryGode » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Lovely! I like the dotted chemisette and undersleeve.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:01 am

Kind of late to the party, but for the next hot weather CW event, see if you can talk your client into a sheer dress. Very popular during the CW. Be sure you use cotton lawn or voile for maximum air flow. They' feel at least 10 degrees cooler than ordinary cotton dresses.
The bodices were half-lined, that is, the bodice lining went up to around the armpits and covered the top of the corset but didn't go all the way up. Air circulating over the upper back is very important in hot weather, right? You have to drop the chemise sleeves off the points of the shoulders, as if you were making a ballgown chemise, so it will get lost under whatever decoration you put on the sleeve heads. I think thegracefullady.com still has sheer dresses to view for inspiration. Look under "Originals" on the home page.
Pamlin
Costume Afflicted

Postby Pamlin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:59 am

Thanks Iris!! This was her first gown, so she wanted it to be wearable year round (were sheers summer-only? I have no idea, and am still learning/researching about this time period!)
It was so hot at the Battle of Manassas, that they didn't wear the gowns -it was well over 100 with terrible humidity! Fortunately, they'll be at the 150 anniversary of the creation of Vineland, NJ (The first place where women had the right to vote -years before the Seneca Falls convention!!) so that will be another chance! I'll post my other gown shortly!
Pamlin

Return to “Show and Tell”