(My) First Completed Overbust Corset

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Sujean
Window Shopper

(My) First Completed Overbust Corset

Postby Sujean » Wed May 25, 2011 11:45 pm

Ok, so for those on this site it's not much to get a simple unmodified corset completed, but I have started at least 3 others, 2 at Costume College Friday marathons, and have yet to have one I or anyone else can wear. I've done a few single & double layer under bust corsets, but somehow the fear factor for those isn't the same.

So here it is, a plain vanilla TV110 Size G for my daughter:
BeckiCorset110525.jpg
BeckiCorset110525.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
BeckiCorsetSide110525.jpg
BeckiCorsetSide110525.jpg (6.36 KiB) Viewed 5444 times

I must say that following the TV instructions produced much neater finished body than trying to do the layers independently. But I'll be less literal about clipping the seams the way pictured - I ended up with little wedgie dents along the seams.

My daughter wanted a waist for her prom dress and TV110 has supplied her with one! Thanks!
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Re: (My) First Completed Overbust Corset

Postby Miss Cindy » Thu May 26, 2011 7:50 am

Congratulations on finishing the corset!
I am far from being an expert, but it looks like the corset is sitting a little low on her. Maybe Miss Heather can verify this for you.
The first one it always the hardest, but Heather's pattern is wonderful!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Sujean
Window Shopper

Postby Sujean » Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 am

I'm glad for any comments. It did seem a bit low to me, although her bust in the corset is much higher than in a bra. I did the muslin using G for the front and H for the back and sides and was able to lace it totally closed from top to bottom in back after she had had it on for an hour so I cut the coutil & lining to G(D) expecting that I would get a uniform gap in back. Nope. I got this:
CorsetBack110525.jpg
CorsetBack110525.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 5426 times

My guess is that the muslin, even at double thickness with taped in bones, was stretchy enough that it closed much more easily. Is there an affordable fabric for doing the muslin that is as firm as the coutil?
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Thu May 26, 2011 11:27 am

The past couple of mockups I've done have been in twill. Really if you have some scraps lying around, like I did for my last mockup, you can just use that since corset pieces are pretty narrow. Twill's not super cheap like muslin, but I've gotten it for at low as $3-4 a yard on sale, and since you only need a yard or two, that's pretty cheap. Well, you're comparing the price to coutil, so almost any heavy cotton fabric will be cheaper! You can also use duck too. Or hey, if you have an old pair of jeans that don't have spandex in them, tear them apart and use those! Not quite sure if that will work...but you can use denim too. And if you like the fabric so much you want to use the mockup as the final one, you could! I plan on making my corset with twill and flatlining it with heavy duck in case the twill wants to do something funny in the long run, which I've read somewhere on the forums that twill can twist over time because of the way it's woven. But for a mockup, on its own, will be fine. After my first experiment with corsets using musling mockups, I had given up on using that fabric. Just buy several yards of twill while it's on sale and keep it for future projects.

Don't give up! The mockups are the most frustrating thing about making a corset (notice I made that plural!). If you got your first corset perfect on the first try (especially if it's for another person) then I think many a people will either mob your house with pitchforks or mob your house pleading you to tell them how you did it! Hopefully the latter since you would indeed have a great talent!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Thu May 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Don't worry too much about the large space in the back. The corset will stretch with wear. it just takes longer than the muslin version, and not as much as muslin.

When lacing the corset up, try not to pull the top of the corset too tight. I was going to say to cut the cups 1 size larger, as it is a liitle tight in the bust. But with the back view, I can see the issue is just that you are tightening the top to much. A corset should be tight in the waist, and then gradually ease to loose-ish at the top and bottom edges. If your lacing just keeps shifting the tension downwards, then it helps to make a 3rd lacing zone (with a separate lace) for the top 4 holes or so. Then you can pull each area to its own tension.
Sujean
Window Shopper

Postby Sujean » Thu May 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Andrea L wrote:The past couple of mockups I've done have been in twill.!

That's a good idea. I have made a couple of waist cinchers of twill or lined in twill and usually have some around. There's that batch of brown that got faded by the sun on one side....

Also, I was thinking of maybe using the down-proof ticking I lined and bound this corset with. That's less than $5 a 64" yard. I loved binding the corset with this - it provided a narrow very controllable edge. Still need more practice with the ends, but I was able to machine sew both sides of the binding and include a narrow cord in the top ones.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Thu May 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Hey, yeah, use the faded fabric. It'll get it out of your fabric stash bin if nothing else. My last mockup was scraps from a cloak I had made late last year. Any heavy, non stretchy fabric will work, pretty much, because that's the type of fabric you're going to make the final corset out of.

And Heather, I like the idea of making three lacing zones! It makes more sense to me to be able to make adjustments to the lacing for a particular place without having to disrupt or readjust other areas. I'm definitely going to do that for my upcoming corset project. Though it'll look like a tangle of laces to everyone else...
Sujean
Window Shopper

Postby Sujean » Fri May 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Just thought I'd post a picture of my daughter in the final outfit.
She's off to the prom now.
PromDress.jpg
Dress is from Fan Plus Friend, made to measure off of the corset muslin.
PromDress.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 5386 times

Return to “Show and Tell”