1876 Ballgown & Undies

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Orianna
Information Junkie

1876 Ballgown & Undies

Postby Orianna » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:27 am

I've just completed a ballgown from 1876, with its matching trained petticoat, and a corset for the DPP Competition over at Your Wardrobe Unlock'd. The rules encouraged us to keep a sewing diary, so I'm sharing mine!

Petticoat
The petticoat is based on actual petticoats from the late 1870s; as such, it's double layered from the knees down, and has a drawstring in the back to cinch the fullness up and support the ballgown's skirt. I heavily modified TV208 for the petticoat.

Corset
The corset is TV110, decorated with flossing and lace. I made it from aqua silk habotai, interlined with a sturdy twill, and lined with a beautiful ivory sateen.

Ballgown
Now, the pièce de résistance! This ballgown took me a year to complete. It's on the cusp of the Natural Form period, so it looks best without a bustle. I used charmeuse and shot taffeta in shades of teal, copper, and gold, with beaded trim that draws all three colors together. The design is original, but inspired by several antique fashion plates.

For full-sized photos, please see the ballgown's Sewing Diary, the petticoat's step-by-stepTutorial, and the corset's Sewing Diary.
MaryGode
Inquiring Mind

Re: 1876 Ballgown & Undies

Postby MaryGode » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:54 am

I love the colors of your ballgown! Just stunning.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~MarkTwain
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:47 am

MaryGode wrote:I love the colors of your ballgown! Just stunning.

Thanks! I don't typically wear copper, but when I saw it with the gold and teal, I fell in love.

I wanted to add, too, that you can read the article that describes how I designed the ballgown (including the color selection): Designing an Authentic Victorian Costume Part I, and Part II. (The article was first published at Your Wardrobe Unlock'd.)
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:20 am

You did a grand job! Your gown and undergarments are beautiful! And you look beautiful in your work!
Thank you for sharing your work page. I read some and enjoyed it. Good tips and warnings and it was nice to see that I am not the only one who makes "oops" while working on these dresses. :oops:
Absolutely lovely!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:38 am

Miss Cindy wrote:You did a grand job! Your gown and undergarments are beautiful! And you look beautiful in your work!
Thank you for sharing your work page. I read some and enjoyed it. Good tips and warnings and it was nice to see that I am not the only one who makes "oops" while working on these dresses. :oops:
Absolutely lovely!

Thank you, Miss Cindy! I'm afraid that I make quite a lot of mistakes while I'm sewing. I try to always include my bloopers and blunders in my sewing diaries, in the hope that it will help others. :D
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:32 pm

I saw this in the competition and thought it was lovely. Very nice work.
Orianna
Information Junkie

Postby Orianna » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:27 am

Thanks, Bookwyrm! I appreciate that.

Return to “Show and Tell”