1874 reception dress

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Re: 1874 reception dress

Postby Madamekat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Man are you lucky!! Yes, that is the exact model I used. You lucky dog, you!!
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:50 pm

Thanks! The other person was fighting hard for it too, so I didn't think I'd get it in the end. I ended up paying a little less than $37 for it, which, since I spent about $30 on the Perfect Pleater, is a major bargain. I remember looking on a forum in my desperate search for another one if I didn't get it, and apparently last year there were several on ebay and no one was buying them, or people got them for super super cheap. Then again, when you search "antique pleater" your pictures here come up, so maybe people are reinspired to use machines like this! :D
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the wording. I now have it saved as a search on Ebay and hope I get as lucky as you.
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:58 pm

You're welcome! I only figured out that trick after finding this pleater. Good luck in your search! If I stumble across another one, I'll be sure to post it on the forums.

Slightly off topic, Madamekat, how did you secure the back of the pleats? I just got the pleater in today and was messing around with it, so I used strips of masking tape because I was lazy and I wanted to see what the pleats would look and act like secured. Did you just slip stitch the tape (appropriate tape or ribbon, not sticky tape) to the back of the pleats? I always get hung up on the little details like this. Well, the devil's in the details and all that jazz...
Pamlin
Costume Afflicted

Postby Pamlin » Fri May 13, 2011 12:36 pm

@Andrea L. That was me bidding on it. Glad another TV addict got it though... :mrgreen:
Pamlin
Andrea L
Inquiring Mind

Postby Andrea L » Sat May 14, 2011 12:27 pm

Pamlin wrote:@Andrea L. That was me bidding on it. Glad another TV addict got it though... :mrgreen:

I figured the chance was high that someone here was bidding on it. Who else would want an antique pleater like that? I hope another one goes up for bidding soon.
Pamlin
Costume Afflicted

Postby Pamlin » Tue May 24, 2011 8:20 pm

I hope so too! I've been trolling eBay obsessively since, and no luck so far. If you see one, please message me!
Pamlin
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:31 am

Andrea L wrote:Slightly off topic, Madamekat, how did you secure the back of the pleats? I just got the pleater in today and was messing around with it, so I used strips of masking tape because I was lazy and I wanted to see what the pleats would look and act like secured. Did you just slip stitch the tape (appropriate tape or ribbon, not sticky tape) to the back of the pleats? I always get hung up on the little details like this. Well, the devil's in the details and all that jazz...

If you pop back to page one of this thread, I show a photo of how I secure the pleats until I'm ready to baste them :D
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Bobbpe
Window Shopper

Postby Bobbpe » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:07 pm

This dress is so beautiful! How much fabric did you use, considering all the pleats? Thanks
Bobbie
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 am

I got a pleater! I got a pleater! I snagged it off ebay last night for $35 shipped, and did a happy dance :D

Which reminds me, MK - how did you finish the edges of your pleats? Is it just a rolled hem, are they double thickness, or is there another trick I have yet to figure out?
:fence:
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:14 am

Bobbpe, thanks! I used nearly 15 yards of fabric.

Erin, wow, you lucky girl!! I did a rolled edge hem on my serger for both the top and bottom of my pleated strips.
biscuit1
Window Shopper

Postby biscuit1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:40 am

Wow what a wonderful dress and the details are what really make the ensemble look professional
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:21 am

Madamekat,
Which bustle did you use underneath?
Thank you!
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:17 am

Cindy, it's TV 108 and a petticoat

Return to “Show and Tell”