1870's Black and White polkadot overskirt

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
laurainlove
Costume Afflicted

1870's Black and White polkadot overskirt

Postby laurainlove » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:43 am

This is the biggest part of my project I've got closest to finishing, and it's been so much work (for something so simple) that I wanted to post my progress.

I wanted to line this overskirt because the outer fabric is so light I didn't think it would hold the shape of the ties well...so I "lined" it with a black silk taffeta I had in the stash, making it reversible, which is what took a while--but really it was adding the trim that took the most time. Overall, I probably spent 10-12 hours on this, working out trim placement, etc. ALOT longer than it would have taken as this is a very simple and easy to put together pattern.

more to come soon! Hopefully!
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Re: 1870's Black and White polkadot overskirt

Postby valleyviolet » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:31 pm

I love the trim you chose. It gives a beautiful, high-impact pop to the design. :)
Can we possibly have photos of the reverse too? It is totally peeking out and taunting us! :P
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
laurainlove
Costume Afflicted

Re: 1870's Black and White polkadot overskirt

Postby laurainlove » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:31 am

The overskirt is very heavily pinned in the picture in preparation for the top stitching to keep the layers together :/ so not pictures just yet.

I tried to get the top stitching done last, but my machine was giving me problems so I thought I should figure that out first.

Thanks for the kind words, the reverse side is just black, nothing fancy, at least not yet anyway :)

Return to “Show and Tell”