The Odyssey diary

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
pavlina
Costume Afflicted

The Odyssey diary

Postby pavlina » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:16 am

Since I have resumed progress, and must be done by mid-may, I decided to start a diary here (if that's okay)

There are bits and pieces of this outfit all over this board :oops:

the very first thing I did was take my measurements, and trace off my pattern. I also shortened it, right of the bat. I made a muslin, from muslin and it seemed to fit okay no glaring errors. I think I added a generous panel at the back (3-4 inches) and by straining I was JUST able to pin it closed at my waist. With that, I decided to make a proper mock-up using a combination of cotton duck and some unknown home decor remnant found in the remnant bin. The directions were fabulous, but I want to insert a note of caution that one must truly make the boning channels wide enough.

I tried on the mock up. this is with no boning, only the white steel boning by the lacing.

It's kind of a crappy picture, but you can really see the fit. It is still too long the top comes up too far. The bottom would dig into my leg when I sat. I still need a bit more room at the waist, as can be seen from this rear photo...
Those laces are <I>really</I> far apart!

Then I let it sit for several months and I picked it back up last weekend. I went ahead and whacked off about an inch total from the top and the bottom, then tried it on again. I never did take any pictures of it, but it looked like those above, just shorter.

Then I bound the top. I decided to use true grosgrain ribbon, after reading a post here about it. I think it looks lovely. I machine stitched on the outside
Then I hand stitched it from the inside.

Which gave it a lovely finish
Now I just need to do this on the other side and the bottom!

I inserted all that spiral steel...
It was at this point I realized some of my boning channels were almost the same width as my boning. :bang: It was a struggle to get some of those in, and in the end I had to raid DH tool cabinet for the needle nose pliers to get them all in. Due to one thing or another, some of the bones are sticking out a bit on the bottom (like a millimeter or so) I am hoping that once I put the grosgrain on, it will not be an issue. I'll also have to completely hand sew the ribbon on the bottom, or risk breaking a lot of needles!

So anyway, stay tuned. I hope to have this corset COMPLETED this weekend.
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Re: The Odyssey diary

Postby Danibelle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:38 am

Looking great! Can't wait to see more!
-dani
“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Postby valleyviolet » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:10 am

I love the exterior fabric you've used. I definitely need to try making a corset with stripes. :)

As far as the fitting issue, I had a problem like that with one of my corsets (between the muslin and the finished product) and I think the problem was in the seam allowance. Even 1/16 of an inch difference across all those seams gets to be a couple of inches more than you'd like if you aren't careful. That might not be what happened to you, but it's something to think about next time, anyway.

I hope this one turns out to work for you once the binding is on! :)
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:28 am

The first time you try on your corset, it really should be too small. It wil stretch during the first 3-4 hours of wear, just like a pair of jeans out of the dryer. So expect the corset to stretch about 1-2" depending on your size, over time.
pavlina
Costume Afflicted

Postby pavlina » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:47 am

Okay, so I finished this up over a month ago, but I just have this thing about taking photos, apparently. Here is the corset, I'm still not happy with the fit in the hip area, it's too big I think.

Sorry for the bad photo. As you can see, I have on a bra and a t-shirt underneath, so maybe under a chemise the cup area won't look so weird. The bones in the hip area stick out away from my body a good bit, maybe half and inch or so. All in all, a decent first effort, and if I run out of time, this will be the corset I use under the costume. :D
Bookwyrm
Inquiring Mind

Postby Bookwyrm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:29 pm

You should try this on without pants or bra. Lightweight knit yoga-pants are ok, but the waistband of anything like jeans will mess up the fit. And you don't ever want to wear a corset over a bra - you can ruin the bra and the corset won't fit right.
Tiffers
Inquiring Mind

Postby Tiffers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Good comments from Bookwyrm about not wearing a bra while trying on a corset. It doest allow the breasts to"drop" into the place they are intended to sit within the corset!

How much of a gap do you have at the back of your corset when its laced to your preferred tightness?

Tiffers
pavlina
Costume Afflicted

Postby pavlina » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:55 am

Ha ha ha.

Not much of a diary since I never made anymore updates.

Oh well.

Here it is, I entered it into the Balticon 44 Masquerade where I won Best in Class - Novice and Workmanship - Tailoring awards for it.

The overskirt is TV362, The Wash overskirt. I luv it!

Wearing my ribbons! 8)
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Congratulations! What a fun outfit. And I really like your hat. :)
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Lookin' good!
-dani

“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
pavlina
Costume Afflicted

Postby pavlina » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:23 am

Miss Cindy, the hat was pretty much the inspiration for the entire outfit. I got the hat at Balticon 43 (2009) and I knew I would have to make a costume to go with it! :o

Return to “Show and Tell”