Early 1870s Summer Organdy Bustle Gown

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Vanessa
Inquiring Mind

Early 1870s Summer Organdy Bustle Gown

Postby Vanessa » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:28 pm

Well, here's the gown I churned out in 5 days for this Sunday's picnic at the Banning Residence Museum in Wilmington. It's the first Victorian I've worked on in over two years now and also the first time I've used the ruffling attachment for my new Pfaff. And let me tell how, I love that ruffler foot. It's going to be my new best friend for Victorians.

I used 10 yards of white cotton organdy, 30 yards of 3/8" french lace, pink silk satin ribbon & a little trim on the bodice with pink ombre silk ribbon bows on a white satin ribbon.

I used TV201 for the underskirt, TV305 for the overskirt (matching the pleats on the front & back since the fabric was sheer) and TV400 for the bodice, cut off at the waist and with shorter sleeves.

I'm also wearing a new muslin petticoat from the TV170 pattern underneath and carrying a parasol I recovered in pink silk taffeta.

Heather & Laura - it's always a pleasure working with your patterns. Even without doing a muslin (since I didn't have the time) I knew they would work up quickly & with only minor (and my standard) adjustments.
The untold want, by life and land ne'er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:26 pm

You look wonderful! So, feminine and delicate. In only five days! I am so impressed!
I really like your hair and the hairpiece. Did you make it?
Beautiful ensemble!
Miss Cindy
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Lydia
Costume Afflicted

Postby Lydia » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:15 pm

absolutely gorgeous!
and indeed i love your hair/hairpiece! please share your secret!
Put even the pleanest of woman into a beautiful dress and unconsciously she try's to live up to it!
*Lady duff Gordon*
Acacia
Costume Afflicted

Postby Acacia » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:15 am

Oh My! It's dream-like! What beautiful work!
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:08 pm

A vision! How brave you are to go out in so much white! You look beautiful. Hopefully with your new ruffler foot we'll be seeing more from you! BTW, what bustle pattern are you wearing?
-dani
“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
Vanessa
Inquiring Mind

Postby Vanessa » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks everyone - I think this may be my favorite Victorian outfit yet. It was so light and cool to wear.

Re: my hair - it's a 3/4 curly hairpiece that was on a large banana type clip. The clips were removed & barrel curls rolled & bobby pinned into place and the bottom left in ringlets. I secured it onto the crown of my head with crossed bobby pins & arranged my rag curled hair to blend the edges and wove curls in through the curls on the sides & top of the piece. I left the bottom of my hair in ringlets and blended those into the piece's ringlets. It's a great color match for my hair so it's hard to tell what's mine and what isn't without actually touching it.

I used Laughing Moon #112, View E for the bustle and made it in muslin & reed. I wanted an extremely light bustle to wear under this gown and it worked perfectly.
The untold want, by life and land ne'er granted,

Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
Manon Antoinette
Inquiring Mind

Postby Manon Antoinette » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:32 am

Lovely! You look like you should be in a Tissot painting :)
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
Charlotte Brontë
mentha
Costume Afflicted

Postby mentha » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:26 am

Haha, you stunned me on another forum with that dress [didn't respond there yet though]! 5 Days! Unbelievable!
And from the earth spray the weak herb that bears her name. (Mentha) Oppian, Halieutica 3.485
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm

That's funny because we were just there to do a fashion show for them on Sat Sept 19. I didnt hear about a Victorian picnic there! Oh well, we were at the Los Al Rossmoor Library doing another show anyway.

Were there planned activities?
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
diana
Master Gabber

Postby diana » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:39 pm

Where did you find the cotton organdy?
Diana

Mississippi Diamond
Laura
Costume Afflicted

Postby Laura » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:24 am

Oh Vanessa that is so perfectly beautiful. You do such a wonderful job doing the entire ensemble and finding the perfect location. Your an inspiration.
I should make time to do the same events this winter.
See you,
Laura.

Return to “Show and Tell”