Costume college

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
buttonwillow
Costume Afflicted

Costume college

Postby buttonwillow » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:41 pm

I just returned from the ever-wonderful Costume College. What an inspiration! I'm a very slow worker but I'm making progress toward a whole outfit. I made a corset at CC last year. This year, Laura taught a class in which we made a bustle petticoat. With her help (and pre-cut fabric) we all finished the basic garment in under 4 hours. Wow, was I impressed. The homework is to make the ruffled overlay. That shouldn't be too hard and with some luck I might finish it, and the rest of the small clothes I'll need, before the end of the year. Seeing the beautiful clothes encourages me to keep sewing.

I'm going to go to the swap meet in Sylmar (Calif) for mock-up fabric and maybe even the fashion fabric. It really isn't a swap meet, as that gives the impression used goods for sale. 99% of the stuff there is new. There is a section with about 20 fabric sellers. Most of the fabric is polyester and much of it is dreadfully colored and figured knit. None of the fabric is marked as to content. However, I have seen some nice stuff, too. I bought several yards to make a mock-up of one of TV's non-bustle skirts, paying either $1 or$ 2 per yard, 54" wide. It came out rather well, I think. If any L.A. folk are interested in exploring this place, I'll find the exact address.
Lizzie Marie
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lizzie Marie » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:05 pm

I would love to know where that is.....I live in Lancaster area and that is sure closer than downtown....
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:13 am

Morning..
I know sewers that buy at swap meets..
a suggestion... get a burn kit and familairize yourself with the fabric testing... ie how a sample of fabric will burn as to content... cant remember where a chart is, hopefully someone else will jump in here :D but get a little metal box, a lighter and a pair of tweezers, and if you need to know what the fabric content is, burn a swatch... most natural fibers will burn to ash.. not hard nubby bits like synthetics... need coffee :wink: of course I always forget mine, and have had sellers insist something is silk and then get home and it burns to a hard little bead that wont crush :? but then I know it is my fault and I didnt pay that much to begin with lala...
Luckily I can zip downtown and buy fabric.. and some day I will actually sew with some of it... hope I made sense.. need coffee vanilla nut 8)
Beth
buttonwillow
Costume Afflicted

Postby buttonwillow » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:57 am

Dear Lizzie Marie,

The swap meet is call the San Fernando Swap Meet, although it's not actually within the borders of the city of San Fernando.

It's located on the corner of Glen Oaks Blvd. and Arroyo Ave., page 482, square D6, of the Thomas Guide. There is an off ramp from the 210 freeway at MacClay on the "west" side" or Paxton on the "east" side. It's very big and you won't have any trouble finding it. It is open on Tuesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays, and apparently has recently opened up on Friday's also. I've only been there on Sunday.

I've only been there a few times and I seem to remember there being at least 20 vendors, some of them having very large stalls. Parking is free and it cost $1 to get in. Most, not all, of the fabric is very cheap.

E-mail me and I'll giveyou more specific directions, if you want, especially as to the area inside where the fabric sellers are.

It occurred to me that this might be a good place to look for lace and trimmings. The place is mostly frequented by Mexican people and I have seen girls and women looking closely at bolt after bolt of fabric suitable for weddings, confirmations, quincineras etc. Up until now I have not needed any such, so I've not examined the stuff myself. But I think I could find lace for ruffling for underclothing which I was not too, too fussy about. This may not be the place to shop if you want to win the supreme grand prize for workmanship and authenticity. But for mock-ups and other test garments, for underclothing, for everyday dresses which need to stand up to hard wear and washing, I think you could do quite well.

buttonwillow
Lizzie Marie
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lizzie Marie » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:48 pm

I think I went there about 7 1/2 years ago when my daughter got married. I was looking for and found hunter green velvet for $5/yd. We made all the bridesmaids and flower girl dresses, I got the rest of the material at Levines, since I hadn't really gone downtown and wasn't familiar with what to look for..... Thanks for the info, might have to check it out again....
buttonwillow
Costume Afflicted

Postby buttonwillow » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:21 am

It's been quite a long time since I've been there, too. All this talk about it makes me want to go back. However, I've have been deliberately avoiding it since I know I won't come away empty-handed. It's really foolish of me to be buying yards and yards of facbric when I have no idea what I'll use it for. When I am ready to make my several petticoats (I'm still a tyro in this costuming thing) I WILL go, list of yardage needs in hand, and, with luck, walk out with only the things on the list. Ya think?
Sara P
Information Junkie

Postby Sara P » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:36 am

One can always hope :)
*hugs*
Sara
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:41 am

buttonwillow wrote: I WILL go, list of yardage needs in hand, and, with luck, walk out with only the things on the list. Ya think?

It will never happen :wink:
Beth

Return to “Show and Tell”