A corset and a question...

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Threadlette
Costume Afflicted

A corset and a question...

Postby Threadlette » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:10 am

Hi, so I have been working on getting the perfect corset for about 6 months and after two failed attempts at making my own I had pretty much given up. Then today I was out to lunch with my mom and I spotted a beautiful underbust corset in the window of a shop and started squealing with joy! It was perfect! It was even historically accurate! It was ooohh so beautiful. I went in the store and ended up finding and even perfect-er corset. So I gobbled it up, took it home and decided to do a little show and tell. I was just wondering, since it is an underbust up to about what time would I be able to wear it while still being fairly accurate? Here are a couple of pictures of the corset just to show you the general shape (and also 'cause it's just so darn pretty!)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29830796@N08/3122408092/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29830796@N08/3121580277/

Hopefully those work and sorry for the incredibly long explanation. Oh, and I think this would be the right place to put this post but I couldn't quite figure it out, if this isn't feel free to move it :)

~Ariel[/img]
Ok well maybe I don't hate Oscar (my sewing machine) thaaat much...
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:00 am

That is a very nice corset, one of the best underbust ones I have seen. I think the earliest reference to wearing an underbust corset is during is the 1890's. And those are usually labels as a negligee corset. I did see a patent for an underbust corset from the 1880's. It looked very much like yours.
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:50 am

<drools> that is a beautiful corset!!!! i love long line underbusts and the shape it gives you is fantastic!!!!!

Return to “Show and Tell”