Emma, A Victorian Romance

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:31 am

CONGRATULATIONS!! We are SO PROUD of you! You did look stunning!
Lioness
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Postby HighButtonBoots » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:58 pm

Thank you everyone! :thanks: :D

I have some photos now, including a back shot (FINALLY)!

These were taken moments after my judging appointment in the room next door. The lighting in that hall wasn't the greatest, hence the blotchy shadows on my face.

And a close up, showing a bit more of the trim detail:

I had been unsure about adding that trim, but now I like it! It defines the difference between the green and copper, especially from a distance, and it helps make me appear a little curvier.

Guess what? I have a job interview on Sunday at the Henry Ford Museum and Village for their Period Sewing department! I'm so excited; I've already met the people working there, now I'm just bringing in samples of my work to show the director. I think this skirt and bodice would be a good idea, maybe the hat, too. Oh, wait, I have the corset too....I don't know what 2/3 pieces I should bring! :roll:
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:26 am

I think the corset would be a good idea to show them. The bodice and maybe the hat. You can pick different periods if you have more, but the complexity of the sleeves on that bodice and the corset (no, not the sleeves on the corset. The corset itself. :lol: ) would be a good way to showcase your talents. You did a stellar job on creating them.
Lioness
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Postby HighButtonBoots » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks Lioness. ^_^

I decided I'm bringing the bodice, skirt and corset. I printed out photos of the hat, and other miscellaneous photos of the whole dress.

And my computer is FINALLY letting me get photos from the camera, so I can show everyone the finished hat:

Sewing the lining in wasn't really hard at all, just a bit of slip-stitching on the edges after sewing the crown piece together. It looks really nice inside now; it wasn't finished for the convention and I'm glad I never dropped it or had to take it off!
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 am

the hat lining is amazing!!! i've never lined my hats yet, but i'm so inspired now :-)

congraulations, by the way, you so deserved to win :-)
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:12 am

Just bringing this up to query...
How did it go with the museum? We were pulling for you. You do an amazing job of sewing.

Hope all went well.
Lioness
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Postby HighButtonBoots » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks Lioness!

I've been so busy I forgot to post back--I got the job! It's only one day each weekend, alternating Saturday and Sunday, and it only pays minimum wage, but it's still my first job!

I really need some time with the industrial sewing machine, though...they sew wicked fast, and take time to get used to them so you can actually sew an accurate line. My first assignment is going to be making ties for the ca. 1900 baseball team players, so it's going to be a little complex but not insanely hard.

I'd type more but I have to get ready to go to Lowe's with my dad.
Sarah F
Inquiring Mind

Postby Sarah F » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:45 am

Just wanted to give you a quick vote of confidence as far as using the industrial machine--I work for a tailoring shop, and it was scary to use them at first because they go so fast, but don't worry. You'll get used to them in no time, and then you won't want to go back to a home machine. I finally broke down and bought myself an industrial to have at home, because you get really dependent on the speed and strength of those machines after a while. Just practice, and you'll be fine.

Sarah
"Why is it that everyone here is someone else's eccentric relative?"
Urban Gypsy
Inquiring Mind

Postby Urban Gypsy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Warmest congratulations on getting the job! What a fantastic thing to be doing! :bounce:
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:30 am

HighButtonBoots wrote:I really need some time with the industrial sewing machine, though...they sew wicked fast, and take time to get used to them so you can actually sew an accurate line. My first assignment is going to be making ties for the ca. 1900 baseball team players, so it's going to be a little complex but not insanely hard.

Yeah industrial machines are fast, but like someone said, you do get the hang of it. Just wait till you get to the industrial serger..... THATS FUN!!
On another note, congratulations that you got the job
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts, that was then... This is my now...
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 am

We are SO PROUD of you! Just think, your first job and it's something you love to do!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!
:D
Lioness
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Postby HighButtonBoots » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 pm

I have the flu, so I'm stuck in the house and bored out of my mind....but I found this cool Japanese site that digitally ages photos:

The downside is that darker details get lost and turn black, so you need to start with a lighter, high contrast photo. Nice, easy result, though, especially if you're Photoshop-illiterate!

Here's the site, just click browse, select a file, and hit the blue button below the file name box:

http://labs.wanokoto.jp/olds
SarahS
Inquiring Mind

Postby SarahS » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 pm

Let me add belated congrats (I haven't been able to use the computer much, health problems) , wish I could have seen your triumph. You are an inspiration to a would-be sewer! Hope the job is working out...your first job is something you won't forget. I've been hearing, for the last 40 years, how some day men will wear skirts as normal everyday things (I mean not just in Scotland :) ) so enjoy the x-dressing while you can. :wink:

Return to “Show and Tell”