Emma, A Victorian Romance

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Emma, A Victorian Romance

Postby HighButtonBoots » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:00 pm

Yes, it's finally done!

And I know the skirt waistband is showing...I didn't realize it until a few hours after this photo was taken. The bar needs to be moved over again, because I corseted down even farther since adding the previous hook and bar. And I sewed hooks and eyes on the collar, but it was so hot that I had to undo it to get a little relief.

I didn't get any photos from Friday, when the pettis were more stiff and poufy, unfortunately. I will get additional photos taken of the outfit soon, without the Convention Pass clipped to my bodice. :wink:

Typical anime convention lineup: Rachel, texting on her phone; Megan, eating ramen noodle soup; me, a crossplaying (cosplaying as a member of the opposite sex); and Katie, dressed up as Pikachu. :lol:

The convention was so much fun; here we're waiting in line to see the masquerade (costume judging and skits). This photo is probably the least flattering, because my hat was so tilted I had to really lift my chin to be able to be seen by the camera. It shows off the sleeves well, though.

For the hat, I wanted elegant simplicity....

Okay, not really. :wink: It was past midnight when I was finishing the hat, and I ended up using double sided tape to make the ribbon bow and hold on the tails! :lol: I could not figure out how to attach the feathers, so I just left everything else off. The lining of the crown isn't in yet either, but it didn't show so I didn't care.

I'll get additional photos from Friday once my friends post them on Facebook.

And Valleyviolet, congratulations on your wedding and a beautiful wedding dress! I was so busy with this outfit that I was never able to respond to your thread. Best wishes for a blessed marriage!\\

EDIT: Another photo, this one is with a new friend I made:

valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Postby valleyviolet » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:09 am

Wow! Your jacket turned out totally amazing! (You got an absolutely perfect fit too!) :D

Don't stress out about your hat. I think it looks great the way it is, and whenever there are deadlines there are always things you have to go back and finish they way you actually want them done. ;)

(Also thanks so much for your kind wishes! :))
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

you look great, the outfit turned out really well :)
Urban Gypsy
Inquiring Mind

Postby Urban Gypsy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:20 am

Fantastic to finally see the finished look... you must be really proud of the way it turned out!
Fatwetdog
Costume Afflicted

Postby Fatwetdog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Wow, you look great! Your outfit turned out fantastic.

FWD
auroradreams
Costume Afflicted

Postby auroradreams » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:00 am

well done you ! it looks great
majors
Costume Afflicted

Postby majors » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:35 am

The outfit turned out so well, and the fit on the bodice is really quite amazing!!!! :shock: :D :D :D

I'm glad to hear you had a good time, and I bet you're already thinking about the next outfit...once you're bit by the Victorian clothing bug it's permanent!!!! :wink:
Danielle Majors
Bellatrix
Window Shopper

Postby Bellatrix » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:20 pm

Wow, you and your outfit look so fab! Go you!! :D
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Postby HighButtonBoots » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:15 pm

Aw, thank you all! Yes, I am already planning the next Emma cosplay...her maid outfit. There's a convention in Columbus, Ohio on January 31-February 2, which I'm planning to go to with a bunch of friends (roadtrip! :D) So I only have about two months to get the outfit done...which should go a little more smoothly, since I now have the experience of fitting a bodice.

The convention is called Ohayocon....I love the word play. :lol:

I'll probably be making her non-frilly apron and cap, since they are so much less...involved. After all I'll have to draft it. I think I will draft the skirt with that period drafting book, though, and possibly the bodice. If not the bodice, I'll reuse the French Vest pattern but remove the pleats in back.

And I really really wish I had the cash to buy Heather's new coat pattern! It is sooo pretty, and I could use it for the 1890s if I change the sleeves and maybe add a few gores to make it fit better around the wide skirts.
Kiwi
Window Shopper

Postby Kiwi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:05 am

It turned out really really pwetty :) and the fit...damn, it looks like you glued the thing on your corset :lol: I love cosplaying! looking forward to the emma dress ^^
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum.
I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.
LillithNightHawk
Window Shopper

Postby LillithNightHawk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:25 pm

very nice! Now i'm tempted to crosplay Mr darcy for Anime boston :D An inpiration to be sure.
Wisdom isn't the same as age, even the oldest scholar can be as foolish as the youngest-me
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:31 pm

I LOVE that skirt. What pattern is it if you don't mind saying? You look fantastic!
Lioness
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Postby HighButtonBoots » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Kiwi--it's so closely fitted it takes about 5 minutes or more just to do up the buttons.... :lol: But I am thrilled with the finished look.

NightHawk--I haven't heard of that series, but I'd say go for it! Crossplaying is so much fun, especially when you pull it off the right way!

Lioness, the skirt is just Heather's insanely easy and beautiful 291 1898 Walking Skirt pattern. The hem facings are cotton duck, and they help to add weight and shape to the skirt. I have on three petticoats--TV 170, a 291 made of broadcloth with two ruffles, and another TV170 on top. The skirt would be more poufy, but when these photos were taken, the pettis had lost the body they got from the starch (I didn't have the time to starch them again overnight). I did add a huge pocket in the right side seam, and will definitely do two in the next skirt I make, because they're so useful. At one point I had the camera, my wallet, my fan, my spare change...all in that pocket. I could feel how heavy it was, but it didn't even show up as a lump in the outer fabric!

Thanks for the comments! :D I'm so glad the colours work well together; I was terrified I would make the whole thing and it would come out looking awful!

I'm drafting the skirt for the maid outfit this week....the piece of paper I have to use is about 7 feet square. :shock: I actually want to make a dress diary notebook, so I will take photos of the pattern in progress tomorrow!

And I think another petticoat will be in order, as well, using the new skirt pattern. I'm probably going to want to severely hurt myself later :wink: , but I'm going to put maybe five or six rows of ruffles on it, and use full strength starch when the convention comes.
LillithNightHawk
Window Shopper

Postby LillithNightHawk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:31 pm

HighButtonBoots

Mr darcy is from pride & predjudice by jane austen. Its one of my all time favorite books, and its also a movie thats just as awesome. I'm not overly fond of regency mens garb so i might end up doing a more steampunk version of mr darcy. I'm a bit worried about binding but the other stuff is fine.
Wisdom isn't the same as age, even the oldest scholar can be as foolish as the youngest-me
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Postby HighButtonBoots » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:02 pm

*Slaps forehead* Oh, THAT Mr. Darcy.

Sorry, I'm having a "slow-thinking" day. :lol: I think a Steampunk version would be particularly awesome...if you do that crossplay, I can't wait to see photos of the finished outfit, Steampunk or not! :D
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Postby valleyviolet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 pm

HighButtonBoots wrote:...it's so closely fitted it takes about 5 minutes or more just to do up the buttons.... :lol:

Have you considered trying a buttonhook? I've never used one, but that seems like the sort of thing they were designed for. :D :lol:
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
HighButtonBoots
Inquiring Mind

Postby HighButtonBoots » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:45 pm

I got back from Ohayocon yesterday. The four hour drive stretched out to five on our way back (due to misdirection and an incident involving a Subway drink cup bursting all over the front seat and console).

I would have enjoyed the convention more, but for some reason, even though the corset went on fine and I got everything on and it fitted as before, I think one of my nerves shifted at the left leg/pelvic joint. All I know is that that area on my extreme upper leg hurt realllly bad (which makes me think it was a pinched nerve). I had to lay myself up in the room with ice on the area in order to ease the pain, and the hotel didn't have Icy-Hot patches in their gift shop, so I had to limit my time downstairs to when it started to hurt again.

Aside from that, I had a pretty good time. I spent my recovery time on Friday night handsewing black braid on the vest seams and cuffs. I used full strength starch on the pettis, and they did stand up by themselves (the bottom ruffle on my all-white 170 was literally like cardboard!).

Oh...I have no photos. My computer is being stupid and won't let me open any camera files so I didn't bother taking out my camera. :p

I did enter the masquerade cosplay competition. My appointment was at about 10:30 AM Saturday, and it went fantastic. The judges raved about my dress, especially when they heard I had only been sewing for about two years and that I was only 17!

I won best cosplay in the Novice division, competing against 37 others in that division. :D There were a LOT of beautiful cosplays and I was unsure if I would win a major award, but I was wrong!

Some people were grumbling on the forum about the judging results (not necessarily about my dress, I think), and two of the judges posted with flattering defenses (bold type is referencing me in the first one):

Unless present for judging, you really do not know the merits and faults of each costume. Even though I talked to a lot of cosplayers and some of the staff, I don't know everything about all the entries! I do know that there was a lot not visible to the casual observer. Totally accurate and completely made-from-scratch undergarments that were a costume in themselves! Another costume had utterly amazing beading that just awed me. Jaw-dropping stuff that you'd never, ever see from a distance.

Another judge:
Some things look deceptively simple from afar but when looked at up close, are simply perfect. It was very hard to choose. Best Novice (and about 80% of the contestants were novices) went to the gentleman crossdressing in a Victorian dress, and while it may not have been flashy, everything about it was absolutely perfect; none of the judges could find a single flaw. He had every detail exact down to the decade of the manga, and had every undergarment of the period handmade and absolutely impeccable. It was also complex; all the buttons were functional, he had a highly styled wig under his hat that he also made that had ruching under the brim, and a handmade steel-boned corset under the fitted bodice. He even went so far as to change the style of the sleeves from his pattern to match the DECADE the manga took place in. While other entries in novice were perhaps more eye-catching, they all had flaws, however miniscule. Our job was to be as nitpicky as possible, and many things that are undetectable on stage are visible when we can lift up a hem in the judging room.

They made a few mistakes as far as recalling the detail in the above posts (cable ties, not steel in the corset) but they were wonderful people, and I felt really at ease during my judging.

Thanks again Heather for your patterns, I would not have been able to get that award without them!
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:26 pm

Congrats!!!!

That is so awsome! I am sorry that you were uncomfortable, I know how that feels. But how cool is winning the contest!! You worked so hard, and I am so happy that it was appreciated by the judges.
ljt
Inquiring Mind

Postby ljt » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Congrats, I love the dress. Loretta
Kit
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:01 am

Congratulations, I'm glad it went well. I'm also glad that you had judges who paid such attention to detail, it's nice to know when it's appreciated.
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris - If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar
http://amsterdamesshop.com/Home_Page.php

Return to “Show and Tell”