Victorian Vampire gown

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
lmboeckl
Window Shopper

Victorian Vampire gown

Postby lmboeckl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am

Hi all, I just joined the forums but have been lurking and getting inspiration from you all for a few months now. Last weekend I hosted a Victorian Vampire ball and made my costume completely from TV patterns:
- TV102 Chemise
- TV110 Corset
- TV108 Grand Bustle (I ended up taking out the bottom two hoops, though)
- TV416 1875 Ball Gown Basque Bodice (modified to remove the sleeves, slits added at sides and a mock button placket added last minute when I got concerned about it fitting a little too tight)
- TV216 1875 Parisian Trained Skirt (modified with a single apron extending across the side back panel, essentially eliminating the mock extra panel)

Below are the photos. I hope you enjoy them!

JP
Inquiring Mind

Postby JP » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:52 am

Hi lmboeckl,
I really like your dress! Is that really your first victorian gown? I particularly love the roses and gathers on the side and also your butterfly fabric! What a great gown.
lmboeckl
Window Shopper

Postby lmboeckl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:09 am

Thank you! Yes, this was my first Victorian gown and I had a great time making it. I've made a few Renaissance costumes in the past, but this is my favorite dress so far.
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:16 am

I love the butterflies! It's so dramatic and feminine! Do you have any shots of you in it? I'd love to see it on a warm (are vampires warm?) body!
:fence:
Urban Gypsy
Inquiring Mind

Postby Urban Gypsy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:24 am

What a stunning ensemble! Such great attention to detail too; you must have been the envy of everyone there!
Big_Momma_Black
Inquiring Mind

Postby Big_Momma_Black » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Breathtaking!!!!! How did you attach the flowers?
What profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?
lmboeckl
Window Shopper

Postby lmboeckl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:34 pm

For the flowers, I bought regular silk flowers, yanked the heads off the stems and hand sewed them on by attaching the base of the petals to the fabric.

I look a little freaky (cheap wig, fangs and white contact lenses!) but here I am in it:

You can see all of the photos from the ball here: http://malotky.pho.to/albums/vampire_ball/index.htm
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:38 pm

OMG! That looks fantastic! I can only imagine the enormity of time and effort spent to perfect the venue. Did you have most of the decor, or did you make it all for that night? You all must have had a magical evening!
:fence:
lmboeckl
Window Shopper

Postby lmboeckl » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:09 pm

Most of the decor was acquired specifically for the event. I'm very fortunate to have some very talented friends - we got together on Friday nights for weeks and worked on everything.
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 am

The time spent was WELL WORTH the effort! You look STUNNING. Could we please have a closer look at your lovely hat. Wonderful outfit.
Lioness
lmboeckl
Window Shopper

Postby lmboeckl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:53 am

Thank you very much!

I purchased the hat from Ms Purdy's Treasure's eBay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Ms-Purdys-Treasures).

However, she has a good picture of a hat just like the one I wore on her website:
http://mspurdystreasure.com/LittleGemsRidingHats.html.

Mine was like the all black one (the first one on the page). I added my own rhinestone butterfly pin with red feathers to the front.
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:42 am

Wonderful job, love the fabrics and trims (especially the tassels and flowers!), and you looked beautiful!
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
julievictorian
Costume Afflicted

Postby julievictorian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:17 am

fantastic gown, i'm envious!!!!!! :shock:
LillithNightHawk
Window Shopper

Postby LillithNightHawk » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:32 pm

same here! :shock:
Wisdom isn't the same as age, even the oldest scholar can be as foolish as the youngest-me
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Re:

Postby kellydofc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:19 pm

lmboeckl wrote:For the flowers, I bought regular silk flowers, yanked the heads off the stems and hand sewed them on by attaching the base of the petals to the fabric.

I look a little freaky (cheap wig, fangs and white contact lenses!) but here I am in it:

You can see all of the photos from the ball here: http://malotky.pho.to/albums/vampire_ball/index.htm

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what you did about the plastic bit that is on the end of the flower. I love how the flowers on your dress look and want to do something similar on a ballgown.
lmboeckl
Window Shopper

Re: Re:

Postby lmboeckl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:44 pm

kellydofc wrote:I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what you did about the plastic bit that is on the end of the flower. I love how the flowers on your dress look and want to do something similar on a ballgown.

I hated those little buggers... I tried to cut them off to no avail. I ended up just attaching the base of the petals to the skirt, essentially stitching around the plastic tip. If the outside edges of plastic were thin enough (they were on some of the flowers), I put a couple stitches directly through it. Good luck! I'd love to see a picture when you're done!
smt22
Inquiring Mind

Re: Victorian Vampire gown

Postby smt22 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:28 am

If you use flowers with wire stems you can wire them together and then just stitch the wires down. Just make sure you have enough flowers to hide the wires.
Susan T
"Dear me, let us be elegant or die!" - Little Women
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:07 am

I'm jealous of the members who were able to access the photos of your ball and you wearing your gown. I keep getting 404 errors, even on Mrs. Purdy's site. Problem using Firefox?
lmboeckl
Window Shopper

Postby lmboeckl » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 am

Iris wrote:I'm jealous of the members who were able to access the photos of your ball and you wearing your gown. I keep getting 404 errors, even on Mrs. Purdy's site. Problem using Firefox?

Looks like the URLs just changed over time. Here are the updated links:

Vampire Ball: http://my.pho.to/malotky/s2/albums/vamp ... /index.htm
Ms Purdy Hats: http://www.mspurdy.com

Enjoy!
Iris
Inquiring Mind

Postby Iris » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Love it! Thanks for the links.

Return to “Show and Tell”