$10 Corset and new Petticoat

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
costume kay
Costume Afflicted

$10 Corset and new Petticoat

Postby costume kay » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:37 pm

Here are my Brand new Petticoat and old corset. This is the one that I spoke of in Meet and Greet. I finished the petticoat today. It too cost about $10, made from two skirts and a remnant. :)
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:11 am

*Grin* Oh boy am I glad I'm not the only one who uses cost effective materials;) (I refuse to say cheap as it has another meaning;) )

I just bought 12m (just over 12 yards) of an off white spotted voile for $NZ 2.99 and am planning on a Tissot inspired dress from it:) Inspiration from some recent ebay items as well;)

And I'm just patterning up an 1850 dress (well.. sneaking in late 1840s because I'm not really a fan of the 1850s) for a picnic at an historical village in Jan. I bought the whole 7-8m of fabric for a similar price;)

I suspect the lining is what's going to cost the most;)

The Bella ensemble would have been a grand total of $NZ 28 if I hadn't bought the antique trim which cost nearly double that;)

Let me guess.. the lace was from the skirt (or both)? Hehehe, it reminds me a little of the wedding dress I bought cost effectively for the lace insertion to use in a ruff:
http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/valois.htm
There's still plenty of the cotton lace left for other projects.... possibly not quite right for the 1850s dress though.. I need something for the shoulder seams.

Very nice unmentionables there:)
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]
costume kay
Costume Afflicted

Postby costume kay » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:32 am

Well, I had a nice tome written as a reply, but it got lost when I went looking for a picture. Suffice it to say, thank you. The lace on the skirts came that way, I just sewed the two skirts together to make a bigger skirt and sewed it to the waist area made of the remnant.
I visited your site and your costume was too awesome. ( here is where I had written a story about a RenFest costume that I made a couple of years ago) Some day, I'll post a pic of it when I find it. :oops:
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:14 pm

Excellent. So did you happen to luck out and find two matching skirts, or when you said "just sewed the two skirts together " did you mean "I pulled all the lace out and carefully put pieces of skirt and lace back together. ;)
costume kay
Costume Afflicted

Postby costume kay » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:05 am

Yes, the two skirts were purchased new at the store, here is a better description of the process:
"The bottom tiers are two skirts bought at J.C. Penney's early this year left over from last summer for $3.99 each, one is size 2X, the other 3X but just the same otherwise. I opened up one side seam on each and cut off the top waist band. I sewed the opened side seams together to make one BIG skirt. I bought the top fabric as a remnant from Hobby Lobby for $1. It's bleached 90" muslin. I used about 70" of its width. I sewed the bottom "skirt" to the new waist section while it was pinned on my Womanequin (I don't like the term Manequin for a figure that is supposed to be a female :wink: ) so I could make sure the length was correct. "
In other words, no, I didn't need to take them apart except for one seam in each and to cut the waist band area off. The insertion lace stayed in place where it was when the skirts were purchased. :) I hope this is a better explanation, didn't mean to make it sound hard.
costume kay
Costume Afflicted

Postby costume kay » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:26 am

Here's one of the RenFest pics. My friend took it. I'm still looking for the portrait pic that we had done.
Not near as awesome as yours, but I'm proud of it. :)
I also made all of the jewelry, crown, fan, girdle.
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:28 am

lol! I thought you were being overly modest actually;)

Nice job on the Ren Faire garb:) I see we are kindred spirits in some regards;) Making use of "Budget friendly" materials and going nuts on making accessories;)

Aren't crowns/tiara's great:) I love mine, always wanted a tiara, and so now I have one I made;)

Do you feel like royalty in yours? :)
costume kay
Costume Afflicted

Postby costume kay » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:58 am

Well, even if I didn't, We certainly were treated as such when we wear them. It's neat when unknown people start to bow and curtsey and men yell out, royalty coming through and you look around and these guys are halting traffic just for you. It's definitely a Kick!
Merry Christmas!!!!
Kay
costume kay
Costume Afflicted

Postby costume kay » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:13 am

Here it is!!!! You can see the crowns better and our added pearls. :lol:
Costume Kay

Return to “Show and Tell”