Our "Deadwood" costumes

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Sew Queen
Window Shopper

Our "Deadwood" costumes

Postby Sew Queen » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:00 pm

I just want to thank all of you inspiring creators on this site. My wife and I were invited to a costume party and we chose Deadwood as our theme. Thankfully I found this site and we were able to pull it off well. Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://trulyvictorian.com/gallery2/main ... =x2a506b21

I used a Simplicity pattern for her frock coat and vest but Truly Victorian 405 vest basque (slightly modified) and 208 trained skirt ensemble. I know I should have trimmed the skirt more than I did but was short on time. The hat is a buckram frame from California Millinery Supply in downtown LA covered in taffeta with real feathers and a bouquet of woven straw leaves.

The night was so much fun. I would wear a dress like this for every occasion if it didn't make me a spectacle.
Last edited by Sew Queen on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Really fabulous!! I love the color combo and the details are so pretty!
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Manon Antoinette
Inquiring Mind

Postby Manon Antoinette » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:30 pm

That is really pretty!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
Charlotte Brontë
Danibelle
Inquiring Mind

Postby Danibelle » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:42 am

I love how you modified the vest basque! I have that pattern but haven't even touched it yet...you really made it one of the most unique ones I've seen! I also love the trim around the bodice's neckline. Do you have any pics of the hat?

BTW, you both look great!
-dani
“You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.” - Dave Barry
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 pm

I also want to know how you did the collar, and the "layered" look to the vest front of the bodice.... So clean and simple, LOVE IT!! :P
My fears behind me, gone are the shadows and doubts, that was then... This is my now...
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Those outfits are gorgeous! Could we gat a close up of that FABULOUS hat, please?
Lioness
Kelly V
Costume Afflicted

Postby Kelly V » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:24 pm

I love that colour of the dress! Wow it looks beautiul. Great job
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Postby valleyviolet » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:12 am

How beautiful! You look like you both stepped right out of a movie. ;)

You did a lovely job tying the two costumes together, too. The burgundy around the jacket lapel is a particularly nice touch (binding, I assume?).

Do please show us a picture of your hat. :D
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
Sew Queen
Window Shopper

Postby Sew Queen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Thank you all for your comments and compliments. Since you are interested, we took a few photos of the hat. For the party I had set my hair in pin curls so it looked more authentic when curly but I guess this will do...

http://trulyvictorian.com/gallery2/main ... temId=1252

The basque kind of designed itself while I was sewing. I had left over ruffle from the apron and it struck me as a brilliant collar alternative. I had also gotten some lace from a friend that had a scallop in the design so it complimented the ruffled collar once I cut the scallop out. As for the layered "vest", it really has two layers. Since I don't own a corset, I wanted the basque to be VERY fitted and as rigid as possible so I used hook and eye closures up the front and then the outer layer just fastened in the center to give it a more decorative appearance.

Like I said before, this was so fun and all of you are "sew" inspiring with your projects...this is only the tip of the iceberg for me now. :D
Elin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Elin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:45 am

I love the way your dress looks, especially from the back. The trim on your hat is amazing. Did you construct it (meaning the "wing") yourself or was it bought? I have noticed that stores that sell supplies for fly-fishing have lots of feathers, whole wings and sometimes whole bird skins but yours looks more like vintage millinery feathers since the wing is so beautifully spread out.
Sew Queen
Window Shopper

Postby Sew Queen » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:57 am

Thanks Elin, you pegged the feathers...they are vintage millinery, from the 1940's I think. The staw bouquet is as well. The store in LA (California Millinery Supply on Spring St.) that I got them from has a huge inventory of vintage trims. It is a very fun place to putz around.
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:40 pm

Lovely hat! It's nice to know we will be seeing more of your Fabulous creations. Besides, you wouldn't be a spectacle...you'd be a VISION!
Lioness
shpgr1977
Costume Afflicted

Re: Our "Deadwood" costumes

Postby shpgr1977 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:24 pm

I can't see the pic. :cry:
kellydofc
Inquiring Mind

Postby kellydofc » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Me either :( and everyone is praising the outfit so much I really want to!
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:51 pm

I could see them when they were first posted, but now it's saying I don't have permission to view them.
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
7brides7brothers
Costume Afflicted

Postby 7brides7brothers » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:19 am

I cannot see the picture either! I am very sad because its a Deadwood theme! I live near there and know all the history so I am excited to see the dress!

Return to “Show and Tell”