My 1850's gown finally done!

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
isara
Inquiring Mind

My 1850's gown finally done!

Postby isara » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:47 pm

As I didn't have much time, I took TV462 and lopped off the tails, and changed the shape of the front. Had a pattern for the pagoda sleeves and just added those on. Since I also didn't have time to do a peplum, I put some of the trim from the skirt onto the waistband, to hide the seam.

I used 8 yards of cheap 1$ a yard nylon plaid (with great rustle!) for the skirt and bias tape, and used silk taffeta for the bodice.
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:53 pm

Wow those are some amazing colors!! Great job with it! :D
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
isara
Inquiring Mind

Postby isara » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:25 am

thanks Josie! :D
tinman815
Information Junkie

Postby tinman815 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:41 am

:) Pretty, Pretty!! Love the colors! Do you have a hat or bonnet to go with it?
isara
Inquiring Mind

Postby isara » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:25 pm

Unfortunately not. I got a bit of a critique session at Dicken's Faire this afternnon by the local costuming guild. That, sheeves, and adding some twill tape to the waistband were the suggestions. I just ended up braiding and putting my hair into a bun.

Making some hats is the next step! That, and some sleeves. Oh, and maybe some open drawers... and a cape.... ;) It's the project that never ends!
kate
Inquiring Mind

Project never ends

Postby kate » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:15 pm

Truer words were never spoken! :D
Beth
Information Junkie

Postby Beth » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:20 pm

isara wrote:Unfortunately not. I got a bit of a critique session at Dicken's Faire this afternoon by the local costuming guild. That, sheeves, and adding some twill tape to the waistband were the suggestions. I just ended up braiding and putting my hair into a bun.

Making some hats is the next step! That, and some sleeves. Oh, and maybe some open drawers... and a cape.... ;) It's the project that never ends!

Hmmm did you ASK for the critque?? hopefully... cause otherwise... waaaaaaayy wrong to say a word...
It looks lovely, and yes a bonnet or lace headcovering would be a good idea... Sorry I missed you, I love the color change on the dress.... and if you paid to get in.... then you were looking better then a lot of other who were there :D and I wont go into the long hair loose on women in their 30's .... :lol:
Beth
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:21 pm

LOL Beth I'm so glad you said it first ... I wanted to ask that myself. I like getting oppinions from others sewers ...but I'm not great with unsolicited nit-picking...hope it was friends and they were encouraging too, cause that dress looks lovely! :D
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
isara
Inquiring Mind

Postby isara » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:59 pm

oddly enough, the critique was from a total stranger. As it turns out, however, the lady is apparently well known for it, as I heard from a friend who is also on the board of GBACG. I just assumed that perhaps it was from the viewpoint, "all serious costumers want to better their technique!" and didn't take offense, especially when it was balanced by some accolades on the fabric and color choices.

My companion, however, glared when his ensemble was critiqued, as he has spent months perfecting a Russian cassock outfit for everyday wear.

I paid half price to get in. Had a bit of a laugh when a friend of mine who has been deeply involved in both Ren and Dicken's for a number of years pointed out the owner of the production company. She is famous for being an absolute tyrant when it comes to everyone being dressed in the proper decade (1850). However, she happened to be in an 1870's ensemble on Saturday. Fashion police!
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:25 am

It's good that you feel that way:) Though I started that way and have recently started to resent the input, mostly because I now feel like I'm on display for other's and I'm no longer creating for my own enjoyment. I get enough of that in the theatre thankyouverymuch;)

So I've just written to someone in the "power" and said as much, in as polite a term as possible and made sure this person also knows I do want to continue to grow and learn, just in a differnet way:)

And it's also frustrating for people who do research like mad to only hear the negative from those "who know."

The assumption often is thet when you do so much research you don't ned to hear the positive stuff. Which simply isn't true;)

So what hats are you looking at? I'm debating between a large brimmed straw hat (which seems very continental*) or a bonnet that is in Patterns of Fashion 1 (well one of the diagrams illustrating the text) from English Women's.. something or other. Over-printed patterns at 1/4 scale in the book.

hats are fun:) Especially just going for it an experimenting with felt and glues and wire;) Need plenty of ventilation though...

Hmmm.... *off to muse over the bonnet idea...*

*For 1850s New Zealand this is a valid point;)
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]

Return to “Show and Tell”