When can we start pestering you for Pictures???

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

When can we start pestering you for Pictures???

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:52 pm

Hello Heather
I know you are probably wiped out and I told myself I wouldnt but...I am ...We can't wait to see pictures of the convention!!

Josie ( trying not to be a pushy pestering brat) Wales :D :D :D
Josie
Greeneyed Gypsy
SASS# 60086
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:03 pm

I will try to get them up this evening. We need to get them developed today (forgot the digital and had to buy single use cameras) You'll get them soon. I promise....we have pics of the costume contest as well as hall costumes.
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:45 pm

Oh wow you are the greatest Heather thanks for working so hard to bring them to us...having just recently bought my first digital camera...I clearly remember the pain of developing pictures!
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
Lizzie Marie
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lizzie Marie » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:28 pm

Heather and Laura were busy snapping pictures with their "high tech" camera on Saturday night....Can't wait to see them....
Heather
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:31 pm

Well, I just got the pictures back..... at let me tell you, I really miss my digital. The pictures came our fairly horrrible, but I will do my best to clean them up for the net. The dresses were so wonderful and the pictures I have do not do them justice.

Moral of the day, never arrive late to an event... and never leave your camera behind.
Fannie Kikinshoot
Inquiring Mind

Postby Fannie Kikinshoot » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:49 pm

Heather, I hate when that happens!

Here are some pictures we took:

This is my interpretation of page 122 in the Harper's Bazaar:

This is the back. This is the dress that I fussed about all the knife pleats.
Last edited by Fannie Kikinshoot on Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's not how good I shoot, it's how good I look, while I'm shooting!
The Carolina Belles
Fannie Kikinshoot
Inquiring Mind

Postby Fannie Kikinshoot » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:52 pm

Our victorian dresses with the kimono flare.

And the back. We used the corselette pattern to simulate the wrap for the obi which is made from velvet.

Last edited by Fannie Kikinshoot on Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Carolina Belles
Greeneyed Gypsy
Master Gabber

Postby Greeneyed Gypsy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:41 am

Fannie I wanted to ask is the front panel painted or embroidered? I was really impressed with these dresses. When the girls said Kimono (right before we got a photo) I had a very asian look in mind...this is so victorian! I am amazed there was not a more documented asian influance in american clothing during the period as we had such an influx of asian settlers in the west. Really well done and so lovely!!
Josie

Greeneyed Gypsy

SASS# 60086
DABramwell
Inquiring Mind

Postby DABramwell » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:16 am

Before the 1920's when middle eastern overtook asian as far as exotic influences went, oriental fabrics were quite popular. Paislys and other allover prints in particular as these were distinctive and easy to replicate. The problem though is that true oriental fabrics (i.e. imports) are woven at only 13 or 17 inches wide. This limited their use to contrast and trim in most cases.

Just a side note: the cross over of a Kimono produces a "y" when looked upon in a mirror. Crossing the kimono in the other direction was part of the burial ritual. So you have the overlap on the wrong side. This is an easy mistake to make considering the prevailance of "kimono" style products now which cross on the wrong side. The wearing of a Kimono is very complex, as is the tying of obi. Japanese women either pay someone to help them dress for special occasioins or go to school to learn how to wear them. Learning to wear a Kimono in the formal manner is one of the first skills a Geisha learns.
Last edited by DABramwell on Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dana
Master Gabber

Postby Dana » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:33 am

There was a huge Asian influence but the cultural dress styles did not transfer to wearing by Americans. Asian patterns and motifs certainly made their way into accessories and home decor though and even in architecture toward the end of the 19th century. (Think Arts and Crafts/William Morris, etc.) The fabrics too were popular, just not the clothing styles themselves.
Fannie Kikinshoot
Inquiring Mind

Postby Fannie Kikinshoot » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:35 pm

After reading time and time again about the "Japonism" movement during the victorian era, Alli and I decided to try our hand at it. We found that fabulous vintage kimono fabric (the center panels) on Ebay, and yes it was only 14" wide. We designed and sketched and drafted patterns until we came up with the dresses you see.

Please note: These are NOT meant to be kimonos!! These are Victorian princess dresses with a "kimono FLARE". We drafted the Tea Gown pattern into this wrapped princess dress. We used the corselette pattern and instead of a big victorian bow on the back, we fashioned an "obi" of sorts. We intended to give the idea of a japanese kimono, but to definitely be Victorian Ladies.

I must say, that is THE most comfortable victorian dress I have ever worn. I just felt so yummy in it. The parasols were brought back from occupied Japan during WWII and the fans were also. We went with a darker wig than we normally wear, just to finish out the look.

Hope you enjoy them. I would love to see more "Japonism" on the board. If you are looking for a resource, the book I love is "The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute: Fashion" This book covers the 18th-20th centuries. It is a fabulous book!!

The Carolina Belles
clanmac
Costume Afflicted

Postby clanmac » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:09 am

I have some pictures! Does anyone want me to post them? I'll take bribes! :wink:
Pretty Mean Shawme
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Postby m d b » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:20 am

oh, more piccies please :) We loves photos ;)

And Frannie, I would have recognised the inspiration of the HB gown even if you hadn't have mentioned it :)

That book is such a source of inspiration... two plates were used almost directly for the stage production of Phantom:
http://costumes.glittersweet.com/phantom/wishing.htm I have some notes there about them.

Eiko used an 1876 walking dress as the inspiration for the Red (absinthe) dress mina wears to meet Dracula.. She changed it heavily, but the asymetrical back neckline and pointed pendant cuffs remain the same:)

And I'm sure there was one used for Age of Innocence for Winona Ryder again;) but I haven't seen the movie for ages so I'm not sure.
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]
clanmac
Costume Afflicted

Postby clanmac » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:30 am

My favorite fabric store is having a 40% off sale today so I'm on my way out (Like I need more fabric!!) I'm out of here, Lots of fabric to buy! I'll get them posted sooner or later. sorry for the delay.
Last edited by clanmac on Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty Mean Shawme
Amanda125
Information Junkie

Postby Amanda125 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:28 pm

Wow Fannie the pictures of the dresses you posted are beautiful! Did you make them? :)
clanmac
Costume Afflicted

Pretty Mean Shawme at Convention in Her Losing dress!

Postby clanmac » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:30 pm

I am so used to winning costume contests here in Colorado on a wink and a smile, I was totally blown away at convention when I stupidly joined the contest at the very last minute.

I wanted to drop my number and go running from the room (I should have) when I saw the competition! The ladies' costumes and presentations were awesome!

So I present to you my losing dress! Image
Pretty Mean Shawme
Lizzie Marie
Inquiring Mind

Postby Lizzie Marie » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:43 am

I felt the same way as you in regards to wanting to run, however....Fannie and Alli have talked me into never giving up....and who knows, now you know the routine, go for it again, and let me tell you, it is the "presentation" that will win it for you.....seriously......and all of the dresses were beautiful, sure glad I didn't have to be a judge....I love the red dress you were wearing....
clanmac
Costume Afflicted

Back stage at the convention fashion show

Postby clanmac » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:58 pm

Here is one of the pictures I promised. More to come! Image
Pretty Mean Shawme
Dana
Master Gabber

Re: Pretty Mean Shawme at Convention in Her Losing dress!

Postby Dana » Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:07 pm

clanmac wrote:I wanted to drop my number and go running from the room (I should have) when I saw the competition! The ladies' costumes and presentations were awesome! So I present to you my losing dress!

That is a winning dress and nothing to run out of the room for! Keep up the good work.
m d b
Inquiring Mind

Re: Pretty Mean Shawme at Convention in Her Losing dress!

Postby m d b » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:10 am

clanmac wrote:I am so used to winning costume contests here in Colorado on a wink and a smile, I was totally blown away at convention when I stupidly joined the contest at the very last minute.

Ahhh yes...

Well I'mnot used to winning contests, but I do find it depends a *lot* on who it is judging and what they are looking for. Which can be very different judge to judge. And even the same judge can look for different things each time.

I've decided not to enter anymore as I get too disspirited each time. Even if I know the reasons the winners won which often has little to do with professional construction or presentation.
[url=http://www.arrayedindreams.com]arrayedindreams.com[/url]

Return to “Show and Tell”