slighty OT: decorating ideas

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
rosewood39
Costume Afflicted

slighty OT: decorating ideas

Postby rosewood39 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:35 pm

Hello, I am on a committee for a group and we are going to have a big event in the spring and the head lady decided on a victorian mystery dinner for it. Does anyone have any ideas, links, etc that would help me with what to do, how to decorate, etc? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.
Miss Cindy
Information Junkie

Postby Miss Cindy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Dear Miss Rosewood,
I don't have experience with this, I just wanted to let you know, boy that sounds like fun! I hope you have a great time.
My only suggestion might be, use real stuff, such as silverware, crystal not glass, you know, not "modern" materials like plastic.
I realize that is not saying much, but linens instead of paper napkins.
I know there are others here who will give you much better advice.
Enjoy it. Don't let it stress you.
Sincerely,
Miss Cindy
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 2 Cor 3:17b
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:35 am

I know there will be those who disagree, but when I think Victorian decor, I think feminine and LOTS. Lots of flowers, dried flowers and foliage, knick-knacks, gilt framed art and mirrors, candles on the wall, candles on the table, chandeliers, oil lamps with cut glass globes, decorative fruit bowls. I tend to imagine dark wood furniture and side tables, and not a single plain wall. Stripes or floral wall coverings, dark plush carpets. And I think Miss Cindy is right. Linens, china, crystal, and nice flatware if you can. Sturdy wooden chairs and tables if at all possible. Finger bowls and tea sets. I know it sounds overwhelming, but I think there are a lot of places where "cheats" can be used. Good luck, and let us know how it's coming! Sounds like it will be lots of fun!
:fence:
unfinishedprojects
Costume Afflicted

Postby unfinishedprojects » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:34 am

Maybe book a Victorian B&B or historical house for the event? Probably costly, but most of the decor and atmosphere will already be present.

A nice touch would be to provide all of the the guests with their own 'calling cards'.
JosiePartida
Window Shopper

Re: slighty OT: decorating ideas

Postby JosiePartida » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:01 am

I think keeping it simple always gives a look of sophistication and also it brings good ambiance. Choose carpets wisely and some crystals art piece with good quality curtains.
Corsetière
Costume Afflicted

Re: slighty OT: decorating ideas

Postby Corsetière » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:20 am

I just purchased this book (it is still on its way to me)-http://www.amazon.com/Victorian-Style-Classic-Rooms-American/dp/0762413123/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381511904&sr=1-1&keywords=Victorian+Style%3A+Classic+Rooms+Of+North+American+Homes

It is highly praised as a great source for Victorian interior design inspiration. Used copies are only $5. Might be helpful to you?
Wilde Hunt Corsetry
http://www.wildehunt.com

Return to “Show and Tell”