Steampunk Victorian Trip to Atlantis / My Natural Form Gown

Show off your creations, projects or other ideas
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Steampunk Victorian Trip to Atlantis / My Natural Form Gown

Postby valleyviolet » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:51 am

So last weekend I was lucky enough to be in OH for a steampunk Victorian game set in the year 1877 on a submarine trip to Atlantis. :D
(I only got to go because I combined it with a trip to visit my relatives in OH! Hooray!)

Game pictures:
http://www.digitalchangeling.com/gaming/LARP/secretOfAtlantis/index.html

My outfit:
http://www.digitalchangeling.com/gaming/LARP/secretOfAtlantis/14-EvaTheMinistryOfficial.html

I made a green natural form outfit using TV patterns and a much abused modern vest. The vest had some fitting issues (since the amount that I could beg fitting help was severely limited in the days before the event). I'm eventually going to be making a proper basque bodice for those skirts and I will probably be trimming the whole outfit with chocolate colored velvet ribbon. (There will be more pictures of the back of my outfit next week.)

Anyway, I thought I'd share the photos, since I know we have some steampunk fans on the forum. My outfit was far from being the most impressive one there! :D

I'm going to link to more game photos off my page once the other players let me know where they are.
"The difference between clothing and fashion is a lack of peer pressure."
C. Diane
Inquiring Mind

Postby C. Diane » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:35 pm

Your outfit looks a lot like Agatha Heterodyne's (Girl Genius). I like it!
Patricia T
Inquiring Mind

Postby Patricia T » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:21 pm

Looks like you had a good time. What was the game like?

Some of those pics look like they are straight out of the game "MYST"! Anyone here ever play it? I was thoroughly hooked by the MYST series for quite a while - a total Avid!
Madamekat
Information Junkie

Postby Madamekat » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:17 pm

Oh, you are PERFECT!! I love it!!
"I firmly believe that every human being has a duty to make himself as attractive as possible," Erté wrote. "Clothes are a kind of alchemy; they can transform human beings into things of beauty or ugliness."
Lioness
Information Junkie

Postby Lioness » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:44 am

I LOVE Steampunk! That is WONDERFUL! Thanks
Lioness
Erin
Inquiring Mind

Postby Erin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:13 am

That looks like so much fun! How do you find out about all these events? I'd love to find something like that closer to me, but have no idea how. Do tell! :mrgreen:
:fence:
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Postby valleyviolet » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:47 am

Thanks for all your kind complements! :)

C. Diane: I hadn't thought of that at all. I'm a huge fan of Girl Genius, so maybe it was working down somewhere in my subconscious. ;)

Patricia T: The game was partly a social thing (40 odd people playing characters interacting with various goals) and partly an exploration/puzzle solving thing (we shot a giant squid with an underwater lightening gun and the crew had to defuse not one but three bombs!).

There were basically two sides, the submarine folks (mostly British inventors, crew, and investors although we had one American with an itchy trigger finger and one Russian spy) and the folks in Atlantis (they mostly had lovely costumes inspired by ancient Greek styles since they had been isolated underwater for about 3000 years). The Atlantians had their own set of political machinations going on and they were trying desperately to repair their home (they had forgotten how much of their technology worked and how to read their ancient scrolls of history and knowledge).

I hadn't really thought about it, but I agree that the setting looked very Myst like! The biggest difference is that we crammed a lot more people in. ;)

Erin: I find out about most of the LARP events that I go to through mutual acquaintances or shared email lists. I know there are communities of folks who run these sorts of games in most metropolitan areas (I'm sure there are some in FL!), so you just need to find a few of the right people and they'll be able to keep you informed. I got into the community through the Freedmans, who run things in the Chicago area (http://www.fetefatale.com/). You could try contacting them and asking if they know about any folks in your area (they've been in the hobby for much longer than I have).

If you're interested in all sorts of events like this (not just the Victorian ones) you might also consider trying a LARPing convention such as Intercon H (http://www.interactiveliterature.org/H/). I went to Intercon G last year with friends and had a blast. Not all of the games have impressive settings but often people do come in lavish costumes! ;)
Heidi Aphrodite
Costume Afflicted

Postby Heidi Aphrodite » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:33 pm

Oh my heart. Thanks for the pics! I'm just getting into steampunk (I had no idea people did anything other than mess with computers and interior decor until the other day), and I want to do a steampunk pirate kind of thing for Halloween. Now I have more inspiration! Those are great pics. :)
"Fashion is spinach." James Thurber
valleyviolet
Information Junkie

Postby valleyviolet » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:25 am

Someone else just put up an even better set of pictures from the game! :D

http://pics.livejournal.com/evcelt/gallery/0001gs68?page=1
Manon Antoinette
Inquiring Mind

Postby Manon Antoinette » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Oh my! I wish we had some cool steam punk larp round these parts!!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
Charlotte Brontë
Asenath
Inquiring Mind

Postby Asenath » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:49 pm

You and me both, Manon!
Amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.
pokidi
Inquiring Mind

Postby pokidi » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:09 pm

*sigh* aaand me too...
Canned Insanity
Miranda Miller
Information Junkie

Postby Miranda Miller » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:55 am

WOw! Ok, so I am not the only one who saw the Girl Genius resemblance. You look GREAT! and I bet you had a blast! yay for steam punk!

Return to “Show and Tell”